Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to downgrade software?

JeffF

I want to get my notebook back running 2.9.4 since that is what is on the show computer... what is the best way to do this without borking anything up? :P

I still have all my sequences saved in 2.9.4 format on the notebook so I won't be doing any strange mixing of versions(as far as I can help it at least).

Nothing wrong with the 3.x.x software, I just don't want to change over the show computer so close to lights-on.

Thanks in advance, cheers.gif
Jeff

back up your sequence and audio folders (or whereever you've been saving/storing them both) once thats done, uninstall what version you've got, go to the LOR website, Software and d/l the version you want. Once it's re-installed, copy your sequences and audio back into the new folders.

jstorms wrote:

Will sequences that have been converted to, or created with 3.x.x work on 2.9.4?

I haven't tried. Before I upgraded I copied my sequences over to an "2.9.4 Archive" folder. Now before I just downgraded I moved the sequences to a "3.x.x Archive" folder.

If I get brave enough, maybe I'll try to open one and see what happens... :)

jstorms wrote:

Will sequences that have been converted to, or created with 3.x.x work on 2.9.4?

Possibly, but not certainly. It depends on these factors:
  • What the newer version of software is
  • What the older version of software is
  • What features were used in building the sequence

Note that this is not specific to falling back from S3 to S2; the same things (at least possibly) apply for falling back from any newer version to any older version.

Specifically for 2.9.4 being the older and 3.0.0 through 3.1.2 being the newer, I think that:

(1) If the sequence uses channel groups, 2.9.4 will not be able to load it.

(2) If the sequence uses locked tracks, 2.9.4 won't consider those tracks to be locked.

I think, but am not 100% sure off the top of my head, that if neither of those two things apply, then 2.9.4 will be able to use the sequence just fine.

Note that the older version will give you a warning when you try to open up a sequence created by the newer version, even if it is able to open it just fine.