Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Down

Guest guest

Man I hate to see pics like this but it seems every year that we have the same problems:( That is why I always try to build everything to withstand the endtimes. Good luck on fixing, and untangling all those lights.

Best of luck getting that thing back up Ranger. I live at the top of a hill, (very windy in winter) and have learned the hard way to go WAY OVERBOARD when it comes to securing my displays. As Mr. Ranger now knows..........it is very frustrating to spend a lot of money, and a lot of time on something, and have it all come crashing down. Ranger, was the TOP of the pole supported?? Looking at the picture, it seeems to be, but it appears that the middle section of the pole began to "bow", and then gravity then took over. Tallguy

It was 3 10 foot sections of 1 1/4" EMT. This is basically 16 Gauge galvanized steel, so the wall thickness was only .065. The OD was 1.510, and ID was 1.38. It was guyed at the top, and at about 14 foot. The lights were on a carriage that was pulled up to about 26 foot.

I think one thing that hurt me was that the pipe started to sink into the ground. As a result, all the light strands had slack in them, and the wind was able to blow them like a sail, which is what it looked like this morning. If I had a couple more hands this morning I probably could have tightened them up and been OK. I think the sail effect started to pull, and like one poster said, Gravity took over.

Interestingly enought it didn't fail at a joint. We used 8 inch pieces of steel tube with a 1.5" ID, and the EMT was slipped inside.

Two of the top guy lines had a bunch of slack in them this morning, so I tightened them up. Maybe too much, since that is the direction it wound up going. Fortunately, the base wasn't damaged and neither was the LOR box.

I have 30 foor of Galvanized well pipe now. I am leery of the threaded couplers though....