Light-O-Rama Forums

Dang my finger tips hurt....

Santas Helper

Orville wrote:

DonFL wrote:
He mentioned he did, and wore 3 out.

I need to invest in panduit and other ty-rap mfgrs knowing 12K ty-raps is in orville's budget every year. :cool:

Don I zip tie everything down and together. Well I don't zip tie my cat5 to any electrical cables, but I do zip tie them together.

Yea, I should own stock in a zip tie company!:shock:

I get them from a store up the road from me (about a mile, maybe just under 2) that sells them in bundles of 100 at 2/$1.00! Haven't found a better deal anywhere LOCALLY where I can just go and buy what I need and have them immediately!

I just purchased another 3,000 Tuesday. I had started with around 20,000 originally and had used them all up between my Halloween display, the Samhain display I had to set up at a friends house and then my Christmas Display. And I'm sure I'll be buying many, many more before the season is up, I use them for everything, everywhere all year long.

No wonder Orv uses so many zip ties--I think this is from his front yard. A polar bear made out of zip ties.
ZipTieMassimal1.jpg
ZipTieMassimal2.jpg
ZipTieMassimal3.jpg
ZipTieMassimal6.jpgZipTieMassimal8.jpg
ZipTieMassimal12.jpg

Redbirdruss wrote:

You guys are killing me! I fell out of a tree a few years ago putting up lights. Now I hire a handy man every year for a couple of hours to do the high wire work. I had several light string failures in my mini-trees and ended up re-stringing 6 of 8. I must have cut 1000 zip ties and now have a blister on my middle finger from the scissors. My shoulders hurt from repeatedly wrapping mini lights on mii-trees. My back hurts from lifting containers of lights. My bank account is hurting from having to replace defective LED's (I thought those things would be more reliable). Hopefully I'll have the lighting and controllers installed by Wednesday morning but I still have 1 and 1/2 sequences to finish.
Back to the grindstone and lovin' it.

If you're using scissors to cut them, no wonder you have a blister. I use the tool that Orville wore out, or wire cutters. I think scissors would kill me!

I got one of the ty-rap guns from ebay last year, I found it more efficient that the old way of pull tight and clip with diagonals.

And, my 10 year old reallllly loves it...she'll use it on every ty-rap she can find..:cool:

DonFL wrote:

I got one of the ty-rap guns from ebay last year, I found it more efficient that the old way of pull tight and clip with diagonals.

+1

testraub wrote:

Considering that we are all here shows that we all have addiction problems way beyond alcoholism!!:P

HEY! :X I resemble that remark! :)

Tom Straub

Hi, my name is Mike and I am a blinkoholic.

Nope no Polar Bears in my display and definitely none made out of zip ties!

I guess I use so many because I zip tie light strings at ever 2nd or 4th bulb depending on string length, then if I had garland or anything to it, it gets zip tied the same way.

And I'd never zip tie my cat5 to electrical wire/power wire, that could cause some real problems, I have it lying near or may cross some, but not tied to any of it.

So if you did accidentlly zip tie your cat5 to SPT1 or 2 wire, extension cords or power cords, chances are, yes, you're going to have to cut all those ties and move the cat5 off those power wires!

When I set up I use these....
http://www.uline.com/BL_1361/Dyneema-Cut-Resistant-Gloves?pricode=WQ940&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=dyneema&utm_campaign=Gloves

You might be able to get them at Lowes or Home Depot as well. The gloves are light weight and perfect for wrapping trees and zip ties.

khawes wrote:

Same one I got...I bought it figuring if I didn't like it, I could always put it back up on ebay and recover some of my investment.

Now, I won't give it up.

Mine was definitely used, but has held up well.