Light-O-Rama Forums

GFCI

Guest guest

I installed GFCI receptacles for the light controllers. I have been running them since Thanksgiving. It finally rained and they keep tripping. Should I be using GFCI or regular receptacles ? GFCI my be to sensitive.

Mike

People will give you both opinions. With and without. I was wondering the same thing since we got rain the last couple of days.

Taping the connections doesn't seem to work too well either. The real only solution to keep the lighting contacts dry is by doing a splice kit on each connection, which could be quite expensive to do.

I've come to the following findings;

1. After it rains, make sure all your connections are off the ground. In some cases, I've used those cheap Wall-To-Wall Mart lawn stakes to lift them up about 4 inches. This allows air to circulate better around the connection.

2. Sometimes, you can islolate which connection (or channel) is causing the trip by running LOR hardware and turning on one channel at a time until it trips. Then, spend a little time drying it out.

3. GFI's, though using them is a little safer than relying on a breaker to trip with water, ensure you don't loose a controller.

Now, that's my three cents...

hdrigid wrote:

Good advise. It's hard to keep things dry. I have lifted most of the connections off the ground. Hope that helps. Do you run your lights when its raining?

Thanks

Mike

No, I have a "Weather Permitting" policy... :)