Light-O-Rama Forums

New User Problems (LOR CTB-16KV6)

Guest guest

Hello All,

I'm a frustrated new user of the LOR 16 channel controller, I'm posting here hoping someone can help. I've assembled the kit, checked and rechecked all solder joints and part orientations with a lighted magnifying glass - I believe my assembly to be sound (however I'm not above thinking the problem might still be my work :D).

Project Status: I plug in the unit and get a blinking red LED (yay!). I've installed the USB drivers (from the CD). I'm on Comm3. I've downloaded the latest version of the Hardware Utility (HU) from the LOR website (as instructed by Dan). So far so good. I can hit Auto Configure in the HU and it finds my unit on Comm 3. I hit the 'Refresh' button and I get "Found 1 Unit" in one box (to the left of the button) and " 01 - BootLoader-16D" in the dropdown (to the right of the button). I set the selectors to "0" and "1" so that all looks good as far as I know.

The Problem: After doing all of the above, the LED continues to blink and all channels (represented by check boxes) in the HU are greyed out.

Failed Fixes: (what I've tried so far)
1. Rebooted PC many times.
2. Set the Controller selectors to 00 turned on for a bit, then reset to 01
3. Swapped USB cable
4. Swapped CAT5 cable
5. Rechecked all solder joints and part orientations (again)
6. I opened the sequencer editor and set the X10 and Dasher networks to 'None' under Network preferences
7. Reinstalled and verified correct version of the hardware utility

Other info:
I'm using the USB485B.
I've tested all 16 outputs with a multimeter and they are all roughly between 16v and 20v when the unit is turned on.

Lights are hung, sequences are done, FM transmitter kit is complete and working, and all my wiring is done... all I need is for this box to WORK! :)

Thanks for any help you may be able to share with me. I hope your lighting projects are going well.

Bobby Rosenberger

cheeseweasel wrote:

Project Status: .... I hit the 'Refresh' button and I get "Found 1 Unit" in one box (to the left of the button) and " 01 - BootLoader-16D" in the dropdown (to the right of the button). I set the selectors to "0" and "1" so that all looks good as far as I know.

Looks like we made a boo-boo and you have a microprocessor without the firmware loaded. Get the appropriate firmware for your color board from www.lightorama.com -> Support. Connect only your board, start the latest Hardware Utility, click the firmware button, under step 1, click "Only one unit is connected," under Step 2, select the firmware file you downloaded, under Step 2, click download. Let us know how you fare.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

Looks like we made a boo-boo and you have a microprocessor without the firmware loaded. Get the appropriate firmware for your color board from http://www.lightorama.com -> Support. Connect only your board, start the latest Hardware Utility, click the firmware button, under step 1, click "Only one unit is connected," under Step 2, select the firmware file you downloaded, under Step 2, click download. Let us know how you fare.

That did it! Holy cow am I glad that worked!

Thank you for your help!

Bobby Rosenberger