Light-O-Rama Forums

Our new Dancing Elves for 2011

Randy

With a great tip of the hat to Mike Z in Los Angeles for his help and inspiration, we are almost completed with the construction and "clothing" of our largest 2011 Christmas project, a pair of dancing elves...

We used Shell Shock quick setting plastic to make the head, ears, hands and shoes, on top of styrofoam (head) and special polystyrene foam for the rest of the pieces that is easy to shape. Once you get the shape you want, then you apply a couple of coats of plastic to harden and solidify the design. That was quite an experience, as you only have a few minutes after you mix the two parts to get it brushed on...

My dad helped with some of the metalwork that supports the mechanics of the dancing, and my Mom dusted off her sewing machine and helped with the cool Elf duds...I think we're all a bit relieved that the end is near. What a ton of work!

The primary movers for the elves are 12v door lock actuators, and there is one below each leg. The lower body has a balanced pivot mechanism that goes back and forth, and the head is attached with a very stiff spring mechanism made from two back-to-back short bandsaw blade segments so that it bobbles back and forth a bit as well as the elf dances.

The number of hours of labor we have into these is phenomenal, very high...But it's been a labor of love and a great chance for me to spend some good quality time with Brandon and my parents each weekend. The elves are starting to come together and look really great! We're still working on the hat support, so that will probably change a bit more soon.

Here's a sneak peek photo, with more to come....

Randy

Attached files 280151=15532-elf_scarf.jpg

Randy, WAY TO GO! They look great. I am jealous for sure. Mike Z is a great resource, he knows soooo much. Can't wait to see videos of your guys. Any pics of the creation process?

When the dust settles, I'll definitely be posting some construction photos and a little story on our website.

Since it was a rainy afternoon / evening here in San Diego today, we spent some time getting the second elf ready...Here is a photo of both of the elves with Brandon, who is beside himself with excitement at the upcoming show startup in less than a week....

Randy

Attached files 282953=15712-elf_brandon.jpg

Randy that is way too cool. What a great job on the elves you have done.

I am always impressed by the amount of work, love, and interest you put into the things you do not only for the display but for your children/family and the people who will see the display.
Incredible patience and detail to things.

God Bless you and yours this holiday season and I hope it is full of joy and blessings for all.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

It has taken me awhile with all the display activities going on, but here is a link to our website with photos, videos, and descriptions all about the making of our new Dancing Elves...It was an awesome project....If you're local to San Diego, you should come by and check these bad boys out!!!!

http://www.belardolights.com/dancingelves.html

Randy

• The topic was locked