Light-O-Rama Forums

Safety Cap Socket Covers

rgardner518

Does anyone know where I can find these? Its like they are no longer being made! I see them all the time here: http://www.christmaslightpeople.com/catalog.shtml

"Great for covering and protecting open or unused sockets in outdoor installations. Cap easily snaps on either C7 or C9 socket size and keeps out water, snow, dirt and debris to prevent shorting out."

But I call them all the time, and they say they are sold out, and have been for years! I ask them why they don't remove it from there website. They say so when people are searching for it, and don't find it on their website, it helps get people to buy other things from them.

I found one other place: http://www.litesource.com/electrical/socket-cap.html

But they claim to only see whole sale, and will not give me their list of clients who current buy these, for resale.

So Now, I'm stuck in a rut! Can anyone help me out? Here is what they look like.

Attached files 280149=15531-safety-cap-socket-covers.jpg

I wonder if this really works for anything other than keeping fingers out. Is that the goal?

It might do more to trap water inside than to keep it out. Without being able to see the back side of that socket where the wire goes through, I am curious if the wire is molded into the back so it is watertight? Most of the ones I have seen are not watertight, thus will just trap water inside.

I think it is about finger safety..

Most C7/C9 sockets are intentionally not sealed on the bottom, so that if they orient up, they self drain... I've seen some custom screw in safety plugs in the past, but I don't think I've ever seen a commercial product.

How many are we talking about?

I need a least a 100 of them. Here is a better picture. The smaller ring snaps over the hole of a C7 socket, were the bulb screws in. It makes a tight seal. On the opposite side is a larger ring. That ring does the same thing but for C9's. It's unerviseral and can seal ether C7's or C9's.

The reason one would do this is if you use bulb C9 or C7 light strings. And lets say you unroll 10 sockets. But you only use every other socket. You use the caps to seal the unused ones to prevent water and dirt from getting in them, an possibly shorting out the string. I could use hot glue, and fill the sockets. But if I ever want to use them later, I'd be SOL!

Attached files 280307=15552-safety-cap-socket-covers -

If I'm only using every other socket on 12 inch spacing cord, I would probably consider ordering some 24 inch spacing cord from Action Lighting, and vampire cord ends.

I think people look for caps/plugs from time to time, but I don't remember much in successes on finding solutions.