Light-O-Rama Forums

Short video of CCR grid using SuperStar software

DanR

I took a short video of our CCR grid that we had setup indoors for testing. It shows some of the effects we could do with the SuperStar software - thanks Brian!

(The camera seemed to have a hard time adjusting to the bright LEDs and some sections may look out of place without seeing the rest of the lights.)

http://www.fdllights.com/video/2011/Fdllights-GridSample.mp4

Dan

Thanks!

The grid is 20 CCRs spaced 4" apart. A little over 16' wide (the length of the CCR) and about 6.5 ft tall.

They are mounted to an aluminum frame to withstand some pretty windy weather at the top of a hill by a lake (we'll see).

Dan, great job! I too have windy weather and was thinking of both plastic chicken fencing and aluminum frame. I'm thinking the chicken fencing would flap in the wind. Do you mind sharing the details of your aluminum frame? I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but it seems to be the lightest and strongest for wind.

Man, that is uber-awesome, I got chills watching it. It is so cool to see others exploit the abilities of the software. All of the effects are great, the comet/fireball with a trail, the keyboard, the elf playing the piano. I pretty well know how you did all of the effects except the one towards the end where a colored circle starts out small and expands. I'm not sure how you did that. Did you have to do it with a series of scenes or images? If so, sorry there is not an easier way to do an effect like that. Hopefully I can expand the toolset for doing effects next year.

Dan, great job! I too have windy weather and was thinking of both plastic chicken fencing and aluminum frame. I'm thinking the chicken fencing would flap in the wind. Do you mind sharing the details of your aluminum frame? I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but it seems to be the lightest and strongest for wind.

Thanks! The person I work with on the Christmas display owns a metal fabrication shop, so he designed the frame. You can see pictures of it on http://www.fdllights.com/assembly.htm. (Click on a picture to see a close up.)

BrianBruderer wrote:

Man, that is uber-awesome, I got chills watching it. It is so cool to see others exploit the abilities of the software. All of the effects are great, the comet/fireball with a trail, the keyboard, the elf playing the piano. I pretty well know how you did all of the effects except the one towards the end where a colored circle starts out small and expands. I'm not sure how you did that. Did you have to do it with a series of scenes or images? If so, sorry there is not an easier way to do an effect like that. Hopefully I can expand the toolset for doing effects next year.

Thanks Brian! The last effect was done with a series of morphs with a 4 second tail. We were kind of experimenting to see what kind of effects we could get using large values and this was the result.

I kept a list of additional tools/ease of use ideas for SS I will send in after the season is done. But, again, thanks for the great software.

Attached files 280981=15598-EndMorph.png

I had a friend over last night and gave him a sneak peak of my lights. I did Nutrocker. He suggested trying to do a keyboard playing the notes instead of using the mini trees. I sort of responded 'yeah, right'. Now I see you did just that, I hope he doesn't see this video. Anyhow, you did a terrific job!

DanR wrote:

I took a short video of our CCR grid that we had setup indoors for testing. It shows some of the effects we could do with the SuperStar software - thanks Brian!

(The camera seemed to have a hard time adjusting to the bright LEDs and some sections may look out of place without seeing the rest of the lights.)

http://www.fdllights.com/video/2011/Fdllights-GridSample.mp4

Dan

Sent a pm

• 9 months later...

DanR, so how exactly did you do the round morphs at the end of your video? Morphs are linear. If you do a bunch of them, do you just have about 10 of them all going out a different angles? Thx!