Light-O-Rama Forums

Big Balls....

paulanator

My friend who is a tree guy, came over with his smaller 50' bucket truck and put up the lights in the Spruce tree.

I had a vision for this last year, and finally able to do it. It was unreal seeing them lit the first night.

Each ball has 3x100 M5 LED lights, 18 balls for a total of 5400 lights. They are on 5 channels, grouped by color.

We used chain around the top of the tree, a loop, then ran 5 stringers down and attached the balls with basic double ended clips. I was shocked that the whole thing took 1 hour to do.

When I did some sequence testing, they were not dimming correctly, then I remembered, I have 3-4 balls per channel, using 5 channels, and I did not have snubbers on them.

With up to almost 1,000 lights on each channel, I know I needed the snubbers last year, so I will try them tonight.

Attached files 279991=15525-2011 11 11_lit balls_0018_e

Glad I did not have anything to drink in my mouth, I would have lost it after that cold sweat comment!

I was pretty nervous at first, but you know what they say, just let it all hang loose...

Attached files 280006=15527-8039889-santa-claus-doing-a-hang-loose-and-smiling-with-his-bag.jpg

Well it definately takes a set of balls to do this !!!

Paul,
I see that the balls are 15" in diameter. Did you make a "form" to wrap the lights on for them?
Thanks
Bill

Oh and Outstanding job for both you and Dawn on them. They look great and will certainly make that tree stand out for folks.

Looking forward to the video and seeing your balls in action along with your snubber on the end.

Do you have close-ups pics or describe how they were made. (I left this one wide open for someone else to jump in)

What did you use as an armature to get the 15" sphere ??

Paul, al kidding aside, they look great and the strobes really set them off.

paulanator wrote:

My friend who is a tree guy, came over with his smaller 50' bucket truck and put up the lights in the Spruce tree.

I would have thought both 50 foot bucket trucks would be about the same size...:shock:

wbottomley wrote:

This thread reminds me of....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkJfMrQ4bc

Funny : I was about to post this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YUuyzQDmjY

But then I read your post....

I wanted to add : If you want to listen to some music while reading this threat...

lol or the French equivalent for this : mdr (mort de rire)

I love the Sponge Bob Version, next to the AC/DC version on You tube!

Here is a link to Holiday University on some more of the specs and photos of the build.

http://holidayuniversity.com/forums/index.php/topic,1085.0.html

I put 13" on that site, but I am pretty sure they are near 15". Also, mentioning size, the tree guy's other bucket is like 75'...

I tried the snubber tonight on one channel, with a fade on all 5 of the channels, and that is the only channel that faded. Worked perfect.

The channels without did not fade, just on and off, and the one with the snubber was nice and smooth. (omg, you guys have me watching every word now...)

So I will just add a female snubber on my big balls!, and that will be a huge relief for me.

-klb- wrote:

It is a wonder that we ever get the lights up on the house, when we so seldom leave the gutter...  :D

Post of the month! :shock:

scubado wrote:

-klb- wrote:
It is a wonder that we ever get the lights up on the house, when we so seldom leave the gutter... :(

Post of the month! :shock:

Don't you have to put clips on the gutter to put lights up??? Thats why we "hang out" there!!

• The topic was locked