Light-O-Rama Forums

available to general public?

Rburn99

Hi,

I'm a complete noob to this and I'm just looking for something other than the same kinds of lights on my trees that I've had since I was a kid. I'm not a diy'er by any stretch and I don't want a yard full of music synced decorations (as awesome as they all look, that is just too much for me to even picture doing) All I would like is a Christmas tree decorated with rgb lights that I can control.

I found this clip on youtube that is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I don't know if links are allowed but if you search for stella-green on youtube you will find it easily enough. Unfortunately the company has never answered any of my emails even though each time I get an autoresponse promising a 24hr reply.

Anyway, the reason for this post is, is something like this doable/available for just a regular non diy'er or is the industry still at a build your own product from assorted components stage? I see mention of an LOR product called CCB's which if I'm not mistaken are strings of controllable rbg lights? but I was never able to find that product for sale on this site.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.
Robb

CCB's are still not available thru LOR yet. LOR software can control the rgb lights. I've seen other stuff done by Madtrix, but not familiar with the software.

LOR has had issues this year with vendors and suppliers. LOR won't release products until they are satified with high quality standards and back up their products with top notch service.

Stella Green is a product sold by Stellascapes. I can get you pricing on them, but without a DMX signal from Madrix software ($400 and up) they will just hang there doing nothing.

Sounds like you might be happy with GE ColorEffect pixels.
I know they are sold at Costco and I'm sure at other places.
Just plug them in.

They do not require you to spend $$$ on software, many hours programing and dedicating a computer.

I saw those ge lights at the home depot. I would place them halfway between traditional lights and what I am looking for. They are rgb strings but they are not controllable. What is this dmx signal you mentioned? Is this the 'controller' or is this something unique to stella green? If so, is $400 the beginning price for a controller? I thought I had seen controllers for considerably less, although as I said all I know about this is what I've been able to retain from reading other peoples posts ;)
Am I correct in that what one would need would be the rgb light strings, a controller, and software such as lor's sequencing software to create the program? Creating the program is the part I would like to be able to do.

Rburn99 wrote:

I saw those ge lights at the home depot. I would place them halfway between traditional lights and what I am looking for. They are rgb strings but they are not controllable. What is this dmx signal you mentioned? Is this the 'controller' or is this something unique to stella green? If so, is $400 the beginning price for a controller? I thought I had seen controllers for considerably less, although as I said all I know about this is what I've been able to retain from reading other peoples posts :P
Am I correct in that what one would need would be the rgb light strings, a controller, and software such as lor's sequencing software to create the program? Creating the program is the part I would like to be able to do.

OK, I perhaps mis-understood, since in your first post you mentioned that you did not want to sync to music, and that is how most of us use LOR.

Hopefully if LOR has the CCB's available before next Christmas, you could program them using LOR software.

If you are still interested in the Sella-green, the pricing appears to be $129 per 85 bulb string of lights, $225 for the controller, and approx $400 and up for the software used to program the controllers

John,

Yes, I meant I was just interested in doing a single indoor tree rather than a yard/home full of decorations. I'm sorry for the confusing post. Thank you for the information. That is what I was looking for. :) May I ask where you got the info as I haven't been able to find it on their site and they haven't returned requests for the information. I have some more questions and I would hate to keep bothering you to find out the information for me.

Robb

You probably won't get any response from them this time of year. They are busy installing commercial displays.

I got the info from either a forum in New Zealand or an Australian forum that I belong to, don't remember which forum it was.

You might try this distibutor in California, don't know if this time of year they would be able to help you. They do World Class Public Displays and are probably pretty busy this time of year.

http://lightsmusicmagic.com/home.html

You might also contact these people.

http://response-box.com/rgb/2010-node-store/

Now the above is for hardware only. You would still need software to program for the hardware. This is one source I found:

http://www.farralane.com/store/p-4848-madrix-led-control-software.aspx?gclid=CMbCkKrNtqwCFRAj7AodP0EtFg

• 1 month later...

They are RGB pixel strings, LOR is expected to be selling these sometime soon. You'll want to read up on the technology in the DMX or CCR section. There are a lot of recent threads talking about them.