Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio Transmitter Help

jeremyworkman46

I bought the EDM-TX-LCD and stupidly tried to solder the thing myself (I'm a real idiot when it comes to putting stuff together). After trying to solder the plastic side (I know, told you I was an idiot), I figured out that I needed to solder the other side. I got an ugly solder going, but when I plug the power cord in, nothing works. Did I ruin the whole thing and am I going to have to get another? I'll post a picture on here of my crappy solder job. Nobody warned me this would be this frustrating!!! lol

Attached files 279940=15519-IMG_1446.JPG

When you say the plastic side, what do you mean? The flip side of the board, or do you mean that you put the soldering gun tip on the side of the prongs where there isn't much room (close to the green of the board)?

You might want to post closer up photos that might be a little clearer. Even the other soldering points to the right (the adjacent plug, above the date) look "interesting", but might just be the photo.

You saw page 6 here right:
http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf

Yeah, I mean I tried to solder the flip side. I'm a real idiot! I saw that page, but obviously didn't pay enough attention. The other solders aren't mine. They came that way. I think what you're seeing in the other picture is a nut. Here's another picture, but it's hard to get a pic closer than this.

Attached files 279951=15522-IMG_1458.JPG

Of the three bit solder joints. The left middle is touching the top joint. Need to heat the iron and wipe it so that the middle is not touching the top. And then move the iron up to the tip top of the top solder joint and get that bridge off of the little pad. Not sure, but think I would like to see a couple pictures of the top side where you plug in the power jack. Something makes me think you might have melted the jack also. And if you have a volt meter or know someone who does. Might want to make sure that there is power coming out of the wall wart (power cube that you plug into the wall). With the shorts I mentioned above. You might have shorted out the power cube. Ya your soldering might suck, everyones does at first. But the lack of paying attention to bridging, well that sucks. Sorry but that is the facts.

Thanks, Walleyes. That fixed it. And Max-Paul, I did melt the plug a little, too. Luckily, everything still works. Moral of the story, pay someone to put stuff together from now on!!!

Another question, one that's hopefully not so stupid. I'm having a hard time determining how everything goes together. I plan to use a miniDirector with this FM transmitter, and a timer to turn everything on. Does the mini director plug into the FM transmitter? I assume I will need another plug for that.

Thanks again guys, you're always a big help to a new (and somewhat idiotic at electronics) person.

Here`s what you need to hook up your audio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190586409434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can buy them at walmart i beleive someone mentioned in another post.Radio shack should have them to.You might want to get a longer one depending where your stuff is located.

jeremyworkman46 wrote:

Thanks, Walleyes. That fixed it. And Max-Paul, I did melt the plug a little, too. Luckily, everything still works. Moral of the story, pay someone to put stuff together from now on!!!

Another question, one that's hopefully not so stupid. I'm having a hard time determining how everything goes together. I plan to use a miniDirector with this FM transmitter, and a timer to turn everything on. Does the mini director plug into the FM transmitter? I assume I will need another plug for that.

Thanks again guys, you're always a big help to a new (and somewhat idiotic at electronics) person.

#5 could be speaker or FM Transmitter. #4 is an optional trigger button (most don't use). Green lines are cat5.

LOR-BasicLayoutWithMiniDirector.png

1. The Light-O-Rama ShowTime Software works on your personal computer running Microsoft Windows and allows you to design your own shows. When your show is ready, the show commands and audio are transferred to a standard SD memory card.
  2. The standard SD memory card with all the show commands and audio is plugged into your ShowTime Director. The computer running your ShowTime Software Suite is no longer needed.
  3. The ShowTime Director (ShowTime MiniDirector or LOR1602MP3) runs your show and is typically powered from a nearby controller.
  4. The ShowTime Director can run your show continuously, automatically start/shows shows from it's built-in clock (LOR1602MP3) or use an external triggering device such as a pushbutton or motion sensor.
  5. The ShowTime Director has a standard stereo 1/8" mini-jack for connecting the audio to your sound system.
  6. The Light-O-Rama ShowTime Pro or ShowTime PC controllers include special effects such as simple on/off, intensities, smooth fading, twinkling, shimmering. Up to 200 controllers (each handling 16 unique electrical circuits) can be daisy chained on the LOR network giving you the ability to control over 3,200 channels
  7. Electrical power is supplied to the controller placed close to your lights so you don't need to run long extension cords. Commands from the ShowTime Software Suite are performed on each controller. Power to each of the attached lighting circuits is controlled independently. Think of having many dimmer switches that the computer can change very quickly and independently.

http://www.lightorama.com/TypicalSetups.html