Light-O-Rama Forums

Recognizing Multiple Controllers?

Robert G.

When I use the hardware utility to name/recognize my controllers, I hooked up controller 1 and it found it and everything, then I unplugged 1 and hooked up controller 2 and it found that one too. Then I had them both hooked up and all it told me was "Unknown Device???" where its supposed to tell me the controller name. Also, when I named controller 1, it was set fine, but when I tried to name the second one, it said "Unit ID may have been changed. Unable to verify." What is wrong with controller 2 being recognized?

Last year I was using both controllers but #2 was just a copy of #1's sequence. Why am I not able to get these setup properly?

-Thanks

www.ourlightdisplay.webs.com

First of all, what version of the software are you using? Once of the problems you mentioned is an issue I remember seeing on the forum with 3.0 and then there was a quick update to 3.01 (or some version) that fixed the issue... among other issues.

Version 4? Did I have a stroke and don't remember working on that? ;)

Sorry Robert.. Little humor there....

Are you sure you don't mean some version of S2 or S3? Start up the sequence editor and take a look at the title bar. You'll see the Version number there (Something like v3.1.2)

If you had both controllers set to the same ID last year, so they would run the same thing on both sets of channels, you won't be able to find them both at the same time..

The hardware utility says "Controller number one, tell me what you are", and both controllers with ID of 1 respond at the same time. The PC & hardware utility can't understand both controllers trying to talk at the same time.

Changing the ID with only 1 unit attached? Have you tried sending commands to it to see if it turns channels on/off with the new ID, or old one?

I had lights plugged into ch 1 of each controller. I opened the sequence editor and had only ch 1 (of unit 1) on. However, ch 1 on unit 1 AND 2 were both on, (unit 2 is just copying 1). Then I set just ch 1 on unit 2 and nothing went on. So this is telling me that unit 2 is obviously not recognized besides copying unit 1.

The controllers do come in 01 when new & the ID needs to be changed. So if you mirrored controller two last year and left the ID at 01 then simply set the ID.

select 01 as the old ID and change the new ID to 02, if you did that already, then select 02 in the old ID and change the new ID to 02 and press set.

Then go up and click on refresh and see if it shows up.

Select auto configure 1st for your comm port and then set the unit ID.

I had issues too....

I had no signals to any controllers at 1st this year until I removed 1 phone cable line from a controller and then the hardware utility found some controllers, & so I removed what controllers had phone line & replaced those with cat5 cable & all the controllers were found then.

1 new controller card is not working at all and so I plan to send it back. Thank God I have a back up controller card to replace the bad card..

A couple of things to try.

1. Try plugging the cat 5 into the other RJ45 jack. May be a situation of a poor connection. Which I doubt as the system is not full duplex. It can only talk or listen.

2. Instead of selecting unit 1 to change to 2...with the controller you wish to change connected....select the any option and set it to 2.

I suspect that the comm chip is the issue and is not flipping to transmit the status or ID of the contrller. If you can get the ID to change, that flipping to transmit is not an issue unless you are using triggers on that unit.

Chuck

Thanks cmoore, I tried what you said and after changing the existing ID from "any unit" to 02, it said it was changed. I also changed controller 1 from "any unit" to 01, just to be sure. Hopefully the problem is fixed. I will test it out later tonight. Thanks.

Do the show up as two separate units when you refresh the network search? You did have them connected one at a time, for both ID set commands?

If all that is ok, is it possible that your sequences are 32 channels with the channels duplicated?

I set up their IDs individually as needed, but when running sequence editor, channel 1 (unit 1) will also make channel 1 (unit 2) light. That's the copy effect because when I run just channel 1 (unit 2) nothing lights up, so its all based off of unit 1's sequencing. I don't know why its still doing this becuase I have reset/renamed the controller IDs several times. What's left to try?

how many channels do you have set-up in your sequence?

Just one?

Or perhaps two (or more) where you have the same events in Unit 1 Channel 1 and another channel with the same events labeled Unit 2 Channel 1?