Light-O-Rama Forums

ice

Guest guest

I have an ice storm coming thru. I was wondering if there would be any problem with going into the hardware utility and turning on the lights to the mega tree to help keep it warm and keep the ice from building up on it. I was thinking of doing it for the better part of the day. thanks

Joe, from an LOR perspective, I don't see a problem. I got going very late with sequencing myself, and to get lights doing something, I have been running lately using the Hardware utility.

k9smith wrote:

I have an ice storm coming thru. I was wondering if there would be any problem with going into the hardware utility and turning on the lights to the mega tree to help keep it warm and keep the ice from building up on it. I was thinking of doing it for the better part of the day. thanks

I don't see a problem with it. Though, I would question whether mini's could generate enough heat to keep the ice off.

I have 9000 on the mega tree and I hope that it helps a little. I just know if the ice builds up it gets very heavy. I also took a couple of flood lights and put the inside of the tree to help generate some heat.

I'm wondering if a light spray of glycol or Anti-Freeze might help and not ruin the tree. :?
Maybe even the liquid "pink stuff" you purchase for winterizing mobile home plumbing systems could be sprayed on.

The question remains if it damages the tree or electrical components.

I'm just throwing out ideas here.

That tree is just toooo beautiful to have ruined.

ssjp wrote:

I'm not certain about the current version of the hw utility, but I believe that the older version would automatically shut the lights off after a certain amount of time.

Why not loop a sequence or show with the tree on? Quick and easy! :(:)