Light-O-Rama Forums

Note to newby's from a 2nd year guy

MikeA

[align=center]LOR SHOULD INTRODUCE NEW PROGRAM VERSIONS IN BEGINNING OF YEAR, [/align]

[align=center]NOT 3 MONTHS BEFORE CHRISTMAS!! UGH!![/align]

Patients and planning.

I started planning in January. I thought about what I was going to do and measured distances, so that I new how many lights I was going to need and how many controllers to make it happen.

Purchase your controllers during the SPRING sale.

Don't be afraid of having to do a little bit of soldering. It's so easy, a caveman can do it.

Purchase your lights any time and from anyone having a sale.

If you are lucky enough to find a group doing a bulk purchase on wire and connectors. GET IN ON IT. You can never have enough extension cords.

Take your time and do it right the first time. Trust me, you will be pleasantly surprised before, during and after setup when everything works.

MikeA wrote:

Start earlier next year

I thought I learned my lesson, WRONG. When it's 90 degrees outside you should be sequencing songs.

We're in the same camp...I made that same vow to myself back in February...:(:(:(

And then you have guys like David making us all look like slackers...:):P

I was diligent about the planning, light/controller build and acquisition, etc...its the prop assembly, and sequencing, that I neglected. Two months of ridiculous work-related travel in September and October didn't help either.

Are we SURE its still not August???

Personally I kinda like the last min rush getting everything put together. This my first year with LOR and I have rather enjoyed the last couple weeks sequencing, ordering parts. Watching tons of YouTube videos to get a fill for what I want. I've never been more excited about the holidays than I am this year and I think that goes for the entire family as well. I think planning it all year and setting up would take some of the fun and excitement out of it. From a newbie to any other newbies out there don't let the fear of not getting it done scare you off or people saying "it's to late wait until next year". Forget that noise, if you can get your hands on controllers then go for it. Worst case you end up with a static display cause everything went wrong you still learned something and if the family had fun helping you then it was worth it IMHO. I say start whenever you can but don't forget why you started in the first place, don't stress and have fun with it. If it's stressing you out to much PM me and I will give you my address so you can send me all your controllers Problem solved.. HA!

Know when to call it for the year. I have already started planning for next year because I know I don't have the time/budget for the changes this year. Oh, and I haven't even started putting up the lights this year yet. That starts tonight.

Start planning what you want add next year NOW! Sales on extension cords and lights will be starting soon. Get lots of cords when Menards starts their sale. For lights, watch prices and inventory as to when to buy. Be ready for after Christmas sales as to what you need for next year and over stock what you can.

Also, don't buy wire ties in 100 packs, buy in 1000 packs, you'll be surprised how many you'll go thru.

scubado wrote:

Start planning what you want add next year NOW! Sales on extension cords and lights will be starting soon. Get lots of cords when Menards starts their sale. For lights, watch prices and inventory as to when to buy. Be ready for after Christmas sales as to what you need for next year and over stock what you can.

Also, don't buy wire ties in 100 packs, buy in 1000 packs, you'll be surprised how many you'll go thru.
I so agree on this! I am already planning for the 12' season. Knowing what to buy during the sales, and other things to the "wish list"
First year newbie to First year newbie, take your time, you dont need to do something stupid where you can hurt yourself or someone else.
Also for everyone else, when dealing with ladders, roofs or any high location, have someone around, just encase..