Light-O-Rama Forums

Play only part of song

l0chte

I know, I know I'm a Newb.
Question: In the sequence editor how do I play only part of the song that I'm working on? I've tried selecting it but I cant find anyway to just play the part I am working on.
Thanks
-Newb with many more questions on the way.

you can also select a cell where you want to begin and hit the spacebar to start and stop...

though I have noticed if you have the new S3 visualizer open, this no longer works...

jimswinder wrote:

though I have noticed if you have the new S3 visualizer open, this no longer works...

That's not exactly correct. Just like S2, the spacebar works just fine as long as the focus remains on the Sequence Editor.

George Simmons wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

That's not exactly correct. Just like S2, the spacebar works just fine as long as the focus remains on the Sequence Editor.
explain what you mean by "focus"...

because if I open up my editor...and select a cell and begin playing the sequence by pushing the space-bar and then HAVE to select the visualizer to see it working (putting the visualizer window on top of the editor window)...I cannot stop the sequence using the spacebar...

or am I doing something wrong (as always)?

jimswinder wrote:

because if I open up my editor...and select a cell and begin playing the sequence by pushing the space-bar and then HAVE to select the visualizer to see it working (putting the visualizer window on top of the editor window)...I cannot stop the sequence using the spacebar...

When you click over to the visualizer, you are focused on the visualizer. When you click on the SE, you are focused on the SE.

Don wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

When you click over to the visualizer, you are focused on the visualizer. When you click on the SE, you are focused on the SE.

so my original statement was correct...

EDIT:

though as SOON as I hit "send" I understood what George and Don were saying...where what I meant as the "visualizer open", I meant open AND on top of the editor window so you can see the visualizer.

And now that I have tried something else, I see the space bar WILL work if I have the editor on one of monitors and the visualizer on my other one...

is there a way to make it work with one monitor though? Minimize both the editor and visualizer so they both fit on one monitor?

Course, those of us with dual monitors just move the visualizer to the other monitor. Gotta get with the times Jim... buy a second monitor for Christmas.

Don wrote:

Course, those of us with dual monitors just move the visualizer to the other monitor. Gotta get with the times Jim... buy a second monitor for Christmas.

lol...you missed my "EDIT"...:)

unfortunately (for me) I had made my observation using my laptop...

Don wrote:

Course, those of us with dual monitors just move the visualizer to the other monitor.

You've got that right. I just recently added a second monitor and now I wish I'd have done it two years ago. With the price of monitors half what a new controlller costs, if anyone asks I'd tell them it doesn't make sense to NOT have two monitors.

Thanks for all the help guys, I guess that's how the music started playing a few times on accident, must have hit the space bar...
I have 2 monitors and the visualizer was running slow/laggy when they were on separate screens, then again, my laptop hadn't been restarted in days so I'll try it again and get back.

-- Double Post, (Is that allowed here?)

It works better, but I swear I see it skip a few beats now and then, is that common? Still looks awesome! :)

Don wrote:

I have a second monitor attached to another PC. So I guess I can use it. Could you tell me what I need to do in order to use 2 monitors on one PC? I have Windows 7 Professional on my new PC and have an extra port that will accommodate the other monitor. Do I need a special program, how does it work? And please, use layman's term, my brain is set at the age of 5...:shock: this time of the year -

It would be greatly appreciated!

It will depend on what kind of video card you have for the exact settings and also what outputs your pc has. Simple way is once everything is hooked up, HDMI, VGA, S-video, or whatever your particular outputs may be just right click on your desktop. Scroll down to screen resolution. Click on detect. It should find your second monitor if it hasn't already. Click the drop down box beside "multiple displays" and select Extend these displays and hit apply. Now you should have one large desktop display spanned across both monitors. Done!

Mine is hooked up HDMI to the living room tv so I can sit on the couch and sequence and watch the visualizer on the big screen.

Good Luck!

Oh and I did have an issue with the space bar the other night. No matter where I clicked in my sequence and hit space bar the song would start from the beginning. I saved the sequence, closed the program and restarted. Worked fine after that but was annoying as it was a new sequence and was working on the first 30 seconds so I didn't even realize it but I screwed up my yard strand chases because of it. Maybe you have to save everything at least once before using the spacebar to jump around playback in a sequence?

harrison0550 wrote:

It will depend on what kind of video card you have for the exact settings and also what outputs your pc has. Simple way is once everything is hooked up, HDMI, VGA, S-video, or whatever your particular outputs may be just right click on your desktop. Scroll down to screen resolution. Click on detect. It should find your second monitor if it hasn't already. Click the drop down box beside "multiple displays" and select Extend these displays and hit apply. Now you should have one large desktop display spanned across both monitors. Done!

Mine is hooked up HDMI to the living room tv so I can sit on the couch and sequence and watch the visualizer on the big screen.

Good Luck!

Oh and I did have an issue with the space bar the other night. No matter where I clicked in my sequence and hit space bar the song would start from the beginning. I saved the sequence, closed the program and restarted. Worked fine after that but was annoying as it was a new sequence and was working on the first 30 seconds so I didn't even realize it but I screwed up my yard strand chases because of it. Maybe you have to save everything at least once before using the spacebar to jump around playback in a sequence?

Thank you for the advise on the video card. As it turned out, I only have one input on it and am on my way to Best Buy...

As far as 'space bar" issue, I have never used the space bar, I'm a mouser... Have you gone to 'PLAY' and chosen the 'Play Range"? I use my mouse, so when I go to 'play range', I usually use the "selected" range, that way I have more control over the area that I have to play over and over and over X a million, and I can fine tune the play range to just what I want to work on. All I do is click, hold and slide across the area I want to listen to (one row will do), then click Play. Make sure you have the "select" button on, otherwise you will be either turning something on or off (guess that's why they created "undo" button.:shock:
Hope this helped.