Light-O-Rama Forums

Button To Start The Season

RaceMedic

Just sharing one of my small projects.

This year we are having an official launch of our show.

Children who show up for the official launch will have their names put into a hat for a draw. The winner will have the opportunity to push the button to start the show.

The base had to be deep as the mechanism below the button was 2" deep but I could only get a 4" deep box.

Total cost ... less than $20.

Dave

Attached files 279118=15462-Button.jpg

brownjm74 wrote:

How do you set up this "trigger"? I love the idea and I'm going to steal it ;) (if that's ok) Where did you get the "button".

you need one of these for the controller:

http://store.lightorama.com/ctinco3in.html

You hook it up like this:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16_HEADER.pdf

I got my buttons here:

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/2inchpushbuttonlightedgameswitch.aspx

Thanks for the info guys, I see it will take 2-3 weeks for the backorder of the "switch". One last question, does the Input Connector just turn on all of the channels for that controller or will it start/enable the entire show with 8 controllers?

A bit more info for you ... if interested in what I did.

The grey box is 4" x 4" x 4" .. from electric supplies at home depot. Drilled a hole in the top for the switch and a small home in the side where I screwed in the plug to hold the wire.

It will start the show ... when you set up your show there is an option to start immediately or wait for input.

This is my first year using it so I hope it goes as it says. Testing it later this week hopefully.

Dave

brownjm74 wrote:

Thanks for the info guys, I see it will take 2-3 weeks for the backorder of the "switch".

I don't think sparkfun is the manufacturer so look around .. you may be able to find it some where else ... there are lots of different options .. that was the largest I found.

If you are in a time crunch or if the parts are not available, just have someone inside start the show when the kid hits the switch. You do it once a year, do you really need to wire it all in?

KIS - Keep it simple

Scott T wrote:

If you are in a time crunch or if the parts are not available, just have someone inside start the show when the kid hits the switch. You do it once a year, do you really need to wire it all in?

KIS - Keep it simple

TRUE!

Scott T wrote:

KIS - Keep it simple

Don't get me wrong, I love your efforts!

I've used a button and the trigger to start show for two years now, and this will be the third. To take it one step further, the trigger has been our only wireless element linked by a pair of EL.. The last two years, the mayor or dignitary throwing the switch has been across the street, and 3/4 of the way across the park on a stage. We were getting quite fed up with trying to have somebody watching, and reporting when to start over 2 way radio. There was always too much crowd noise to hear..

Between precaching, and the start trigger, it has gone much more smoothly..

Racemedic, that is creative. Good job! I'm thinking of using a few of these to trigger other additions to the show. Does the button light up when not in use? If so, does the light turn off when the button is pushed? Thx!

Hi Wayne;

Thanks for the complement.

It does have the capability of lighting up but it needs a 12VDC to do that so for my purpose I am not going to this year .. unless someone can show me a cheap and easy way of doing it.

Dave

Got a spare wall wart transformer, or you could always just use a couple of AA batteries in a holder to get it to light. If you are using a multi-conductor wire use other wires and see if you have a low amp 12 source close enough to pull from.