Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights not working with sequence editor

Guest guest

Hi, I hate to start a new topic for this, but my previous one had the title changed to (Issue Resolved), and it appears that this is still an issue. My previous post can be found here: http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/8989.html

Here is a current update, any feedback is appreciated!

I have been testing my lights the past few days with my laptop. After I unplug the USB cable from the computer, and then plug it back in the next day, the sequence editor will not control the lights. What I do is open the hardware utility, click the button at the top to find the controller, and after it finds it, I close the hardware utility, and then the seqeuence editor works fine until the next day.. I thought that since the controller itself has the channel set on it, that the sequence editor would work, however it does seem that the hardware utility program is somehow doing something with a setting somewhere.

Is this normal? I'm assuming most people leave it always plugged into a computer, which I will eventually, however I want to make sure that something is not actually wrong with the controller itself

-Gary

Sequence Dr. wrote:

are you powering off your controllers first? You may be freezing them up if thier still on with the program open. I have the LOR RS232 jack , but Iam just thinking of anything.

Mike

I have not been. The past few days I would come home from work, plug the Cat5 cable into my computer, and start my sequence and nothing would happen. I do notice that the LED on the board does go to solid after the cable is plugged in, however it will not control the lights until after I do the auto configure button in the hardware utilty.

The controller has been plugged in 24/7. I will try unplugging it and plugging it back in when this happens again, although that seems like it may be a pain to have to do that every night ....

Gary

hopkinsg wrote:

After I unplug the USB cable from the computer, and then plug it back in the next day, the sequence editor will not control the lights.
Is this normal? I'm assuming most people leave it always plugged into a computer, which I will eventually, however I want to make sure that something is not actually wrong with the controller itself

-Gary

Hello Gary, (I posted this on the other thread of yours and then saw this so I wanted to post it here too)

I don't think it's normal. I ran my show all summer long (and now thru the holidays). Each night I disconnect and took my laptop home with me. I also used a external drive that has all the LOR files on it to run with it. The next day, I just hooked everything back up, powered it on and everything ran just fine. I didn't have to do nothing to get it started. The show started every single time on it's own. Oh, I also kept power ON to my LOR controllers (18 controllers to be exact).

I know that didn't help you but it does show that disconnecting it each night and reconnecting it the next day, you shouldn't have to do anything to get it to run. Or at least in my case I didn't.

Tom

okay.... When you get to the PC the LED is solid but you cannot control the lights. They you run the Hardware utility and autocofigure and then you can control the lights.

So... some of the other things that are happening:

If the LED is solid when you get there, you must have Shows Enabled. So before you can run the Hardware Utility, you must be Disabling Shows.

Is it possible that the Show Player is "stuck" and that Disabling/Enabling it is all that is necessary... There was a bug in 1.5.0 that would cause the Show Player to get stuck in some situations.

LightORama wrote:

okay.... When you get to the PC the LED is solid but you cannot control the lights. They you run the Hardware utility and autocofigure and then you can control the lights.

So... some of the other things that are happening:

If the LED is solid when you get there, you must have Shows Enabled. So before you can run the Hardware Utility, you must be Disabling Shows.

Is it possible that the Show Player is "stuck" and that Disabling/Enabling it is all that is necessary... There was a bug in 1.5.0 that would cause the Show Player to get stuck in some situations.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your help and response. Great support for a great product!

-Gary