Light-O-Rama Forums

How to weatherproof a beta brite LED sign?

jaimwolfe

I decided a Beta Brite LED sign would be the best option for me to advertise my show and radio station. I am planning on mounting it under my front porch to keep the snow / rain off of it, and was thinking of putting it in a box with a plexi-glass or acrylic front window. The specs say it is good down to 32 degrees, but I know it will see much colder temps than that here in northern Indiana.

I'm planning on building a simple cedar rectangle box with one side acrylic for the sign to face out of. Can anyone think of an easy way to keep the temperature in the box above freezing? I think a little foot heater like people put under their desks would get too hot and melt the sign (plus cost a lot of money for electricity).

I'm excited to get started with building something, so lets hear some ideas.

Thanks!
Jaime

Maybe just say a 15 or 20 watt Incan. bulb behind the sign that's always on. That is all they use inside Railroad crossing and older relay based traffic light boxes.

I just made a box with a clear lens, No issues with it's operation. Have used it for 3 seasons now and had no issues. We get lots of very cold and wet days here.

Attached files 278892=15446-christmas lights how too ap

Another end shot of the box. I just cut a notch to let the cord out of the bottom. This one end cap just screws off to remove the sign. If you look at my Joy to the World video, you can see the sign out in the snow. I would recommend this simple set up.

Steve

Attached files 278897=15447-christmas lights how too ap

Hi Steve (and others),

So it works fine in sub zero weather with no heating source in there? I like that idea the best, verses trying to get a bulb in there.

I really like your display. I started off with Christmas in Saraevo and liked how it started off looking pretty basic, but more and more stuff showed up.
Thanks everyone!

Thanks guys.

We don't really get much sub zero weather here, but single digit, teens and twenties (F) temperatures is common. No heating source is provided.

I just screwed a Tupperware type container to the back of the snowman for the power supply. Sorry I don't have a picture of that.

Steve

I put together my box last night - here is a picture. I put a 15 watt candelabra bulb in the box and 20 minutes later when I pulled out the Beta Brite it was almost HOT. I am now thinking I will just try it with no heating source, since too cold is better than too hot (IMO).

I am painting the box with flat black exterior paint tonight. I built it so just the end comes off, then I can slide out the acrylic and pull the whole thing straight out the front.

Attached files 279553=15502-lights-betabox.jpg

That looks identical to mine. I can't say I have ever had an issue and it was around 15F last year on one night. Just the BetaBrite and power supply inside.

Sweet, great minds must build alike. :) Here in Northern Indiana we sometimes get into the -15 degree territory, but I am going to still try it with no heat bulb and see what happens. If my LED Christmas lights can take it, then so should the Beta Brite, right?

I can't imagine that you need a box if all you are worried about is temperature. Mine never gets below 20 degrees, but even so, I would expect that it should generate enough of it's own heat to stay operating. Mine is under the eve of the house to keep it out of the rain.

Hi,

My sign is in a alumunum box with a lexan front. The sign and power supply are inside. No heater and i leave my sign on 24/7

KEN

PS are you ready to go? I still have 10 controllers to put in enclosures ect!!!!

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Snow? What's that stuff?

It Breaks your back when you try to shovel it

and it gives you a reason to use a generator

and it adds the excitement of you slipping on hidden ice under it and you get to go skating while sitting down What Fun:D

Hi Ken,

No, not ready to go yet. Lights are all up, but I only have 1 song sequenced to the point that I am happy enough to show it. I am hoping to finish my second song tonight (Music Box Dancer). Sitting in the car in front of my house for 4+ hours a night looking at my house is really killing my MPGs. :D. Nothing better than programming and seeing the real thing right away.

I'm skipping the heat source on mine as well. Sheesh! 10 controllers to go? I'd offer to help, but I have lots of sequencing to do and only 9 days before the show starts.