Light-O-Rama Forums

chanels 3,4, 8 not working

Troy_Connor

Can anyone provide me with specs on opto's triac's and 20 pin IC

Every component is installed in the correct orientation, and all solder joints have been checked and re-checked.

This is one out of four I built and the only one with issues.

I do have a good knowledge of electronics, just need a little guidance, to further my testing on the board.

Ok, so, brand new build, 3 separate channels out...everything else works fine?

Odds are, you don't have a combination of bad optos, triacs, and/or the 74273.

All other channels work on that side?

If you haven't done so already, a reset of the board would be the first thing to try.

It really is worth going thru the orientation and checking solder connections/bridges one more time. I say that only because, no matter how many of these you build, its always easy to get an opto flipped, miss a pin on a resistor array, etc.

If you've got 3 working boards, you can also troubleshoot each channel, compare working to non-working, and see if you can narrow down the exact issue.

All other channels do work fine and the orientation of components are correct. Solder joints are good, no cold joints, or solder bridges.

Did you try resetting the board? Power down, remove jumper on pin 2 of header, power back up, 10 seconds, power down, replace jumper. That will clear many a problem...

If that doesn't work, next step would be to compare a working channel on the same board, with non-working..or use one of your 100% working boards.

The specs/pin-outs for the optos, triacs, and 273 chip are all locatable on the web.

Problem solved. I had 3 bad traces between the resistors and the opto's. Bridged the trace and whala. Thanks for the help.