Light-O-Rama Forums

Cheap FM Transmitter

l0chte

Now, before you all start screaming EDM.. Budget is very limited.. What is the best transmitter under 50 bucks.. Are there any simple ones I can mod.. The heard the Belkin Tunecast II is great after a simple mod. Any suggestions?

used the Belkin for two years with my Mr Christmas. Works good as long as I had it located out in the yard.

Tin cans and a string! Just like they taught you in middle school science class.

Seriously though, I thought the Belkin ones were intended only for very short range internal mobile use.

Ok, so I am re-editing this posting. I see that they TuneCast is intended only for mobile use and I am surprised to see that one member gets that sort of range. It is intended to get only 30 feet.

A typical show setup would probably need a transmitter with at least 10 milliWatt output in order to get decent range. I see that the Belkin is not rated well at all from user on various shopping sites, but hey, one user here is using it with success.

This is what I use.. I paid $35/shipped 3 yrs ago.. 100mw, BNC-back-of-the-set antenna getsd to the end of my block (couple hundred feet).. took abt 2 weeks to get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-76-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/110607705416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0bba548

TJ Hvasta wrote:

This is what I use.. I paid $35/shipped 3 yrs ago.. 100mw, BNC-back-of-the-set antenna getsd to the end of my block (couple hundred feet).. took abt 2 weeks to get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-76-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/110607705416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0bba548

Gee TJ,

From the specs and the cost, that looks like a good inexpensive xmiter for medium range use. The thing that has my attention is I wonder how they can legally sell a unit of that power in the US. I guess the answer is because it it coming from OUT of the US (Hong Kong)

That specific one is .1w to .5w depending on the drive/gain setting.. the one I got (older model) is only .1w max and I keep the drive down to abt .05w.. with the 1/4wave bnc on the back (not 'duck).. at .05w to .07w and the radio at the front of the house, it reaches to the end of the block. Thisa one (and the one I got) isnt Type accepted, so all the more reason to keep the power low.. I did check both sides of the 99.1mhz I use for any splatter, both at low and high power even without a spec. analyzer, it "sounded clean".. no harmonics.. still .05 is plenty for the several-house range I'm shooting for..

I meant the shipping as in we are hoping for lights on around dec 5th.. And I really wish there was something between the $15 and the $100 dollars that actually was brand name quality. Now don't get me wrong I buy lots of Chinese products (I'm known as "the laser guy" around school) but something I can get fast and not break the bank would be nice.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Gee TJ,

From the specs and the cost, that looks like a good inexpensive xmiter for medium range use.  The thing that has my attention is I wonder how they can legally sell a unit of that power in the US.  I guess the answer is because it it coming from OUT of the US (Hong Kong)

If I remember right, that unit is made by Vastelec. It is sold in various ebay stores under a dozen or so different brand names on the case.

Richard, to answer your question about legally selling this complety assembled unit in the US, that is not FCC type accepted, see my paragraph above. When they are shut down at one ebay store, or under a particular brand name on the case, they just put a different brand name on it and open another ebay store.

It does not have adjacent channel splatter, but on one of the RF Communication websites I belong to, it was reported to have a significant out of band 2nd harmonics, that may or may not cause interference to another local licensed communication service.

TJ, glad yours is working well for you.

I think I'm going with Tunecast II and going to try a mod, If I have to Ill run a sort of super long audio cord out to the road.. :D
Thanks!

Hey JBullard you wouldnt happen to have an old transmitter you would be willing to sale to me would you. I've got to pull the trigger on one this week and would be awesome to not have to worry about shipping since I more than likely pass your house daily on my way to work.

Sorry Harrison,

But the only one I have is my EDM that I bought back in 2007. Never had the need for a backup or other transmitter.

JBullard wrote:

Sorry Harrison,

But the only one I have is my EDM that I bought back in 2007. Never had the need for a backup or other transmitter.

Oh well it was worth a shot. Any way you can leave your front door unlocked tomorrow between say 11-3 with your edm on the couch. I just want to look at it I swear :P

harrison0550 wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Sorry Harrison,

Oh well it was worth a shot. Any way you can leave your front door unlocked tomorrow between say 11-3 with your edm on the couch. I just want to look at it I swear :P

And the LOR on the front porch.. and the computer on the table, heck, why not sit it outside.. :P

Well Gee Whiz guys,

Why don't I just set all 30 controllers, the 2 CCRs, 700 something strings of LEDs out there also.

The EDM would be lonely all by itself. Oh, could also throw some ELLs and a couple of mini directors in the stash as well.

Ya'll have fun!