Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Countdown Timer

Army Lights

Hi all,

I have something that I want to add to my show, but I have NO idea how to do it or how difficult it would be. If anyone could lend some help, I'd be GREATLY appreciative.

I don't want my show to run continuously, but instead want about 15 minutes between shows, during which all of my lights are statically on. I'd like to display a "Next show in..." sign that counts down the mins/seconds until the next show.

I would think I could just put the clock on one of my channels. Then I would run my show in a continuous loop, so I wouldn't have to do anything fancy as far as timing goes. My last sequence would be a 15 minute sequence, during which I would be playing whatever music I chose, while all my channels (including the channel of the countdown clock) remained on the entire song.

Ideally, when the countdown clock received power, it would begin the pre-programmed 15-minute countdown, and at the conclusion of the sequence, it would shut down as my show loops back to the beginning.

I'm asking for some instruction on:

1. The details of the hardware setup: What parts do I need? Where do I get them? Schematic for building it (assuming I need to build circuit boards), Can I buy anything pre-fab?

2. Any software and/or programming details I need to know (I'm assuming this will all be built into the circuit board, but who knows).

Thanks everyone!! Also, if anyone has any 32-channel sequences they'd be willing to share (preferrably with a 6 and/or 7 channel mega-tree), please email them to chris.w.withrow@gmail.com.

Happy Sequencing,

Chris

You could make a "progress bar" out of lights and make a 15 minute sequence to "fill" the bar. Or arrange 30 lights in a in a circle (on coro) and turn one off every 30 secs clockwise.

What? You don't have 30 channels to spare?

Lol, ya sounds like a great idea, but sadly, no, I don't have 30 spare channels lying around. Any other "doable" ideas?

You might be able to get a Photo processing timer and use that. Or purchase a scrolling marque sign that is programmable and use it. I have seen one's that can have up to 20 different shows programmed and run them in order. Plus they normally have an internal battery to keep the programming. just need 1 channel then.

You could put up a sign that says, "Show begins every 15 minutes" and light it up between shows.

You could add a voice track announcements to your "idle" sequence that says "Thank you for waiting, the next show begins in approximately X mins.." etc

I dont know what your planning / willing to spend, but you can definately do it.

http://www.brgprecision.com/products/timers/sttimer.php

The link above is a company that makes giant LED clocks and timer displays. They are kinda expensive (but a good quality american made product)

Any unit on that page with a CL option added will get you a giant count down clock that has a relay trigger output.

I have used one of there clocks in a similar project so I could help you with the wiring, but the basic idea is :

Clock is set for 15 minute countdown mode. at the end of your show 1 channel triggers a relay that hits the START countdown button on the big clock, it will begin to countdown from 15:00. When the clock reaches 00:00 it will trigger a relay that connects to the input trigger on your LOR controller. This will then begin the show again.

You need the big clock, 2 relays, and a LOR controller with input trigger.

The "static on" part could be bone by laying down a track in your show editor that is 15 min long with no music.

I guess the clock really doesnt HAVE to trigger the next show... but it sounds like you would at least want the end of the animation to trigger the timer. (the clock has start / stop / reset inputs-outputs on it, so you COULD do ethier option.

There are some other options, but off the top of my head, this would do exactly what you are looking for.

Gizmomkr,

Great response. Thanks! I went on to the website and I do think what they have woud work for me. I couldn't find any pricing on the site, so maybe I'll call over there tomorrow.

I don't think I will need the delays. I'll just have it as my last "sequence" be this timer and the rest of my lights on, with random music and/or me talking. Then, once the sequence is over, it will naturally loop back to the first song.

Still not positive what I'll be doing, but please keep the ideas coming. It always amazes me how responsive my fellow light-o-rama enthusiasts are!

Chris

The project I used one for was sort of a Video booth.
The timer was pre-set to 5:00, and once the subject pushed the big GO button, the timer would trigger a video camera to start recording, when the countdown reached 00:00, the timer would stop the camera and reset to 5:00.

I wish I had a picture of the unit. I think the one I got was 4" digits. I cant find any of the old pricing info, but I think I paid around 275.00 for the unit.

It wouldnt be hard to make ANY timer work. You would just solder relay contacts in place of the start button. The hard part is finding a timer that will always reset back to your specific value.

You could also build a circuit with a 555 type Timer chip, or a basic stamp, or arduino - but its going to be tough to find oversized LED digit display modules. by the time you get all the parts, you probably would have paid for the pre-made unit.

In any case, good luck and feel free to PM me if you need help with wiring / assembly.

I built a 10 minute timer using a seven-segment scheme.
It consists of a tens position (a "1") and a units
position (displays "0-9") and a decimal point. It requires 10 channels (one for the tens positon, seven
for the seven-segment units position, one for
the decimal point and 1 to turn the 12Vdc supply on
and off. I used a 12Vdc led strip (minimun
of 3 LEDs per segment). My LOR controller connects to 10 110V DPDT relays which switch the 12Vdc leds on and off as needed to display the proper value.
It looks something like this:

I created a animation sequece with a 1 second timing
and turn the decimal point on for 1 sec then off for 1
second. It is not very pretty but it serves its purpose.
See attached wiring diagram

Attached files 7-Segment LOR Display.pdf

I created a sequence (using my display) of all lights on and a sample of different effects from LOR to different areas of my show (fades, shimmer, twinkle, all red, all white, all blue, etc...) I made a 10 minute audio track with some easy going Christmas music for the sequence and every minute I voiced in the audio "The show will start in 9 minutes". Then a minute later, "The show will start in 8 minutes". At the 5 minute mark I added alittle discription of the light show for about a minute which brought it down to 4 minutes while still mentioning show time every minute. At the last 30 seconds I added in "Thank you for your patients. All the lights and circuits are working just fine....." (now folks think your running an error program or something before each show starts) "and now for the show. Again, thank you and have a great Christmas season".

I used the actual display as the "count down show" and used the audio to announce when the show will start at each minute. Folks had their radio tuned in to the station so they knew when the show would start. Your lights are still showing motion of what you command so they will log into the radio station but it's like an intermission in a way. It works great and didn't cost a thing to do.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Tom,

Thanks. It sounds like you've got a great display. That's basically what I've decided to do, since I don't feel like spending a ton of money on a counter or a bunch of channels. The details you gave me about your show will help me out a lot.