Light-O-Rama Forums

Grouping question/bug?

iresq

I know that whatever you apply to the group populates to the whole group. However, what you paste to a group does not automatically populate to the whole group and this is what I am trying to achieve.

Is this or should the be possible?

In case that wasn't clear... If I apply an ON to the group. All the channels within that group gets the ON. However, if I paste the ON to the group, only the first channel in the group get's that action.

If you copy an "on" *from* a group and paste *to* a group, all channels in the group will be affected.

If you copy a single "on" from a single channel, and paste *to* a group, then only the first channel in that group will be affected.

What you describe is working as expected within the software.

Thanks Don, that's what's happening. My preference would be that whatever is pasted to the group get's applied to the group. If I only wanted to paste to a channel, I could open the group and apply it only to that channel.

Then "copy" to the group and you have your desired result.

I prefer it the way it is. I can "copy" to all channels in a group or "paste" to selected channels

Based on what I've seen from the cut/paste feature (based on some testing) I suspect there's a good programming reason why it doesn't work that way.

I'd suggest sending it to the wishlist, though. Maybe it is possible.

iresq wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Then "copy" to the group and you have your desired result.

John, how do you copy to?

Dave, I open the group and select the one channel that I'm copying to.

But when the group is collasped then I can quickly affect all the channels in the group at the same time.

I understand how to copy/paste to the one channel. But when you copy paste to the group, it does not populate to all the channels, just the fist one.

iresq wrote:

I understand how to copy/paste to the one channel. But when you copy paste to the group, it does not populate to all the channels, just the fist one.

Dave,

I've been in and out of the house getting my icicles up.

I must have misunderstood what you were asking.

Just opened a sequence and tried it. You are correct.

I still feel more comfortable pasting into each channel one at a time. :D

I mentioned this same issue very early on during beta testing and Bob said it was a conscious decision to make it the way it is, basically predicting that most people would feel the way that John does.

At first, even after Bob's explanation, I felt the same way that Dave does and thought that LOR was missing the boat on this one. But after using the software for this long now, I've gotten used to the way it works and have even had many, many occasions where I DIDN'T want to paste to the entire group.

Having said that, I agree that having the option to do so would be a useful feature.

PS - I need to amend/expand something that Don said. When you're pasting from one group to another group, if the channel count is identical between groups, then the paste will affect all the channels in the receiving group.

If the channel count is NOT identical, say the group you're pasting from has four channels and the group you're pasting into has six channels, then the receiving group will have only the first four channels filled from the paste.

Conversely (and probably high on the list of why it was decided to do it the way they did) if your source group has more channels than the destination group, your paste will slop over into the channels/groups immediately beneath the group you're wanting to paste into.

iresq wrote:

This is true if you have copied one channel.

If you have copied two channels, it will paste to two channels.

If you have copied 37 channels, it will paste to 37 channels.

If you copy a group (i.e. while the group is collapsed, copy the single row), it will paste to however many channels are in that group.

• 4 weeks later...

I know its an older thread - but

I have a channel I want to copy to a group. In my case, I have parts of a seeuence applied to a single RGB channel, and I want to past that across a group of about 20 rgb channels - I WANT all the 20 channels to end up being the same as the 1st. I understand I CANT do this by pasting to the group, so IS THERE any way I can accomplish this ?

In my case, I added a huge chunk of RGB devices this year, and I dont want to take the time to write new sequences for all of them.... So I want a big group of them to just be the sme as another RGB element I allready have. Any way to do this ?