Light-O-Rama Forums

Who already has or plans to have Singing characters in their displays ?

miaskiewicz christian

Hello everybody,

Due to Cracker's boom boom poo video in 2009 I decided to have a Singing Snowman for my 2010 display. I've seen that many people have already jumped in for this halloween and some who plan to do some singing characters for Christmas (trees for example :-) )

So with Cracker's viral video this year I think that many others will want to give it a try...

have a nice day

Christian

I have had a singing pumpkin face since 2008 since I saw a youtube video in 2007 by Kumbaric. (He also did Christmas Light Hero). My dancing skeleton can also sing. My Snoopy can sing, dance, and play guitar.

Keith Adams wrote:

I have had a singing pumpkin face since 2008 since I saw a youtube video in 2007 by Kumbaric. (He also did Christmas Light Hero). My dancing skeleton can also sing. My Snoopy can sing, dance, and play guitar.

I've also seen Kumbarik's pumpkin face and I like his video game style displays. :-)

Have you got a video link for all these singing characters ?

I added a singing face to my display in 2009 because of George Simmons house (I have taken a lot of ideas from George through the years).

There are 3 basic approaches to having a face in displays; 1)the face doesn't sing, but has several animation movements like eyes, eyebrows, mouth, etc. 2)have a simple face with only 2 or 3 mouth movements, that "sings" 3)go all out and have complex mouth movements, that really does look like the face is singing, like Crackers.

I went with #2; easy to build, easy to sequence (as long as you know the words to the songs). The kids reaction to my face was overwhelming. By far the favorite thing in my display for them.

I too recommend adding a face to your display if you have a good place for it. The kids love it!

I hope everyone is having no issues with putting up and testing their displays. What a great time of the year!

I agree.. Kevin's notoriety seems to have sparked all of us to imitate/copy his success.. I have abt 100' of white rope light I was going to make a large snowman with, zip-tied to pvc, mounted on my extension ladder above the house.. a guy near me does this but his doesnt animate.. my snowman body would be a 8' & 7' hoops with a 6' hoop head, enough for a face and 5/7 segments. A waving arm of rope light is the easiest to do for animation..

I was trying to think of how to change my pumpkin faces (1 large, 3 small) to Santa and elves faces.. maybe "normal" eyes and small length of red rope in tight circles for "rosy cheeks"? Could used Red/White bunched mini's for Santa's, green mini's for elves, hats?

Keith Adams wrote:

The Kumbaric video is what got me intrested in singing pumpkin faces too. For Halloween I have three faces, a 10' X 10' and two 6' X 6' faces and for Xmas I have a small 3' X 3' singing Santa.

Doug

I'm adding a singing Santa, Mrs Santa and Rouldolph (from Holliday coro) to this years display.

Wish me luck (and the time do finish the sequencing in time), added 3 singing faces to Halloween display this year.

I have a singing Rudolf and an animated singing/talking Mr. Winter. Head nods, turns and tilts, eyes move and light up. Mr Winter is about 70% done, not sure if he will make this years show.

No real animation items that have "moving" mouths, but I do use my Blowmold Dancing Santa and Mrs. Claus to emulate singing by using fades and shimmers to their internal lighting to give somewhat of an impression they are singing in some of the songs. maybe one day when I hit the big time with the Florida Lottery I may get a lot of actual singing characters I've like to have in my display.

But for now, gotta do it the "poor man's" way.

I got my idea from Brian's tree. I put an elf face on each side of mine and they sing back up. I love the face on George's house too. The way he sequences the eyebrows and mouth movements make it almost look real to me. :) Thank you Brian for sharing some of your sequences with us. I know you spent many, many hours putting them together. You are extremely talented! Thanks again for sharing your singing tree design with me too. The kids love it and are looking forward to his return this year! :D

I will be having multiple singing faces, also thanks to George Simmons. Its something we (he) have (has) been working on for my display since christmas last year. One of the faces is 10 channels, all the others are 4 channels each. Can't wait to see them in action. Thanks George!!

dito wrote:

how many channels are you guys using for the mouth animation?

I have 4.

Attached files 278224=15429-303934_309021222457197_100000479665725_1241208_1793460349_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was inspired by both George Simmons, and Brian Mitchell, or at least after my Children saw your faces I had no choice but to add one. I am using 14 channels for my face. Thanks for the inspiration.

I will be adding a singing Santa next year to my display. Did not have time to add it this year. I was too busy making singing faces for everyone else. LOL

I was inspired by Kevins display last year so technically I started before it went viral though I don't plan on adding any singing faces into my Christmas display until next year.

miaskiewicz christian wrote:

Keith Adams wrote:

I've also seen Kumbarik's pumpkin face and I like his video game style displays. :-)

Have you got a video link for all these singing characters ?

Been awhile since I have been on the forum. I can't get to youtube at my work to send links. You can search for keitha43 to find my videos. Cotton Eye Joe is a good one for the dancing skeleton. Macarena Christmas is a good one for Snoopy Dancing. This Christmas Day is a good one for Snoopy singing and playing guitar.