Light-O-Rama Forums

Arch Question - Channels etc and more!

TitanBry77

Ok all, even though I have no idea when my controller will be here, I am starting to build stuff for my display anyway.

Got some good info on mini-trees, also on building the arches. Ran in to some questions:

* I only ordered 16 channel controller, arches will eat that up fast. Can I cheat it some, say the arch is 7 channels, which seems to be what everyone likes. Could I do an arch, have channels, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and then put an arch right next to it, using the same channels? would it go 1234567,1234567 or should is go 1234567,7654321 ?

* Anyone have any good ideas for making big globe/balls with lights? I looked at jumbo grapevine balls but they are like $50+ for the real nice big ones!

It would go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7:1,2,3,4,5,6,7 That will give a leaping effect. If you wanted it to do 1,2,3,4,5,6,7:7,6,5,4,3,2,1 you would have to wire the arches backwords. which would give Leaping into or out of single location.

It would be your choice how you wanted it.

Try programing a quick seq. and using visualizer to see what you like.

Ok I think I got it. So if I do it by doubling up on using the same channels I'd not be able to do a leap / follow type effect where it would start on arch 1, and go 1-7, and then hop to arch 2, 1-7.

That is right. However both arches would leap at same time. The only way you could do 2 arches leaping from 1 to 2 would be 14 ch.

If you could use 10 channels total you could do 5 seg. archs which look good as well.

Ok, thanks for the info, 10 channels may not be so bad, for my first year I figure that it will be more expirmenting than anything and then go from there.

I wasn't sure on the cord for the arches though. When you wrap the PVC do you start in the middle? and the SPT cable for the middle section of lights ends up being wrapped under the strand next to it and so forth?

I would start with channel 5 wrap the female end 1.5 to 2 inches from end so Grass,Snow does't obstruct it. When you are done run the spt to other end. then continue through to channel 1 same way. JUST BE SURE TO LABEL THE WIRES so you don't get messed up if you forget when setting up. Shapies work well.

A REEEEALLY big help here... make your arches with sleeves, it will save you a TON of work if a segment goes bad!! I use 1" pvc slid over 1/2" pvc, 2' rebar pounded 1' into the ground. You can wrap several sleeves with different color lights, swap them out for other holidays..

Attached files 277572=15384-2010-07-03 22-58-30.566.jpg

Thanks for the tip I love that idea! Can you elaborate some more on the sleeve idea or have any other pics? I have tons of PVC being an HVAC contractor.

I am guessing the sleeves just free spin/move on the 1/2" pvc? What about the cording, do you run it on top of the other sleeves all to one side and zip tie etc?

My sleeved arches.. if you're worried abt the "gaps" you see on the row on the floor, it's only showing because there is no support rod and they are just lying on the carpet. The arch itself doesnt have any gaps. The wraps look like the light all line up, but from even 10' away, at night, you'll never notice it. If it bothers you, switch to 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pvc sleeves to offset the bulb spacing.

You can see the cords just hang down, there's no need to zip-tie them.

Easiest method to make sleeves.. cut a piece of 1 1/4-1 1/2" pvc.. abt 18-20" long, dril a small hole for a zip-tie at the edge of one end, start few rows, zip tie the end so it doesnt unravel or slip off, continue until you getthe the end of the cord, mark off the pvc, cut, drill another hole for the ending zip-tie.. lather, rinse, repeat.. forthe support rod.. lay out how many sleeves you want to use, 5, 7, 8, 9..etc.. measure the length, add a foot or so for snow clearance, etc.. heat the support pipe.. several diff methods for this too.. heat gun works ok.. no sharp bends or it'll kink/snap..

Attached files 277576=15385-2010-07-03 23-12-59.799.jpg

Arches set up.. I used single strand Lowes Holiday Living lights, 22' long strands, 2.75" spacing, gave me 11" sleeves, since I was using the same lights for all the arches, I cut a box full of 12" sleeves and left the extra inch for adjustments, if it was too much, I trimmed it with the bandsaw.. Storage is the BIGGEST bonus with sleeves.. when the season is over, open up a tub, slide them into it, and store the support pipe on the garage wall. Because they're smaller, I can have more arches.. I'm adding at least 4 more this year. If you want lots bigger arches, double up the sleeves.. instead of 7, use 14, but plug them both into the same channel.

And you see the cords hanging during the day but you'll never see them at night. The controllers I use specifically for the archs also have 6' & 9' dongles just to reach the farthest sleeves. Works well for mega and mini trees too

Attached files 277580=15386-DSC02670.JPG

Ok great thanks! I just emailed my distributor, told him I needed 3 lengths of 1 1/4" PVC, he said what in the world are you using 1 1/4" for? I said Christmas lights, he did not respond lol

Sorry, he was saying he ordered 1 1/2 PVC for the sleeves. I also used 1/2 inch with the somewhat flexible 1 1/2 for the sleeves. I don't know about regular PVC in 1 1/2 inch having any flex at all. I may be wrong , it won't be the first time.:)

I used 1" sch40 for my sleeves, the lights lined up in rows due to the 2.75" spacing, 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" would fix that, and the sleeves being only 11" wouldnt have to flex/bend any really..