Light-O-Rama Forums

GFI tripping on 16 channel controller

Guest guest

My 16 channels controllers are set up for 2 separate power supply lines. One controller will trip the a GFI when the left and right side supplies are plugged into a separate GFI circuit. When you reset that CFI, it trips the one on the other side and visa versa? If I plug the left and right side of the controller into the same extension cord, I don’t have any problems with GFI trips. With 2 of my other controllers this is not a problem!

1.) dry conditions.

2.) no load on controller.

3.) still have this problem when plugged in directly without extensions cord.

4.) have the same problem on 6 different GFI circuits.

Ed

Are the two power cord Grounds that feed the 120 volts to the LOR controller properly grounded together at the mounting box?
I'm thinking a possible "ground loop" from the power feed grounds not tied together and bonded to the mounting box (if it's a metal box) causing a difference in potential when connected to different GFCI's causing them to trip.

Ed wrote:

My 16 channels controllers are set up for 2 separate power supply lines. One controller will trip the a GFI when the left and right side supplies are plugged into a separate GFI circuit. When you reset that CFI, it trips the one on the other side and visa versa? If I plug the left and right side of the controller into the same extension cord, I don’t have any problems with GFI trips. With 2 of my other controllers this is not a problem!

Sounds like there is a leak between the left and right sides of that controller. With power and lights disconnected, there should be infinite resistance between the left and right sides, no matter what combination of hot and neutral power inputs you use to measure resistance. There must not be a "NEU JUMPER" or "HOT JUMPER" installed.

Michael B wrote:

Are these Showtime controllers or Hobbyist? - Hobbyist controllers

Are the two power cord Grounds that feed the 120 volts to the LOR controller properly grounded together at the mounting box? – do you mean inside the LOR box? It is a plastic case and the grounds on each side are not tied together. If you mean the power panel, then yes the grounds are tied to the same ground.

Sounds like there is a leak between the left and right sides of that controller. There must not be a "NEU JUMPER" or "HOT JUMPER" installed. As far as I know there is no jumper installed on either side. A HOT JUMPER would cause the breaker (not GFI) to breaker to pop in any case. Will pull the the multi and check.

At this point it is getting to close to showtime, I will pull the box out and look for the stupid factors tomorrow morning.

Thanks for some ideas

Ed