Light-O-Rama Forums

Jack vs Oogie! 2011 happyholidayhome Halloween show

thebaronn

This year our theme was the Nightmare Before Christmas, more specifically the Haunted Mansion Holiday from Disneyland. There was going to be a semi-epic battle between Jack Skellington and Oogie Boogie! I would love to say that the Halloween show went off without a hitch, but it never does (at least mine). I managed to drop my amp on the monitor cable and made a very nice cut (could have been worse, at least the amp survived) so the singing pumpkin projections were out. There was one RGB Firefli Pixel that was stuck on. The fire aspect did not work 1/2 the time... I almost started a candy riot! Yada Yada Yada.... To top it all off, I was at the dentist Friday and they said I needed an emergency Root Canal.... But who has time for that, (worst pain in my life on Saturday, but the antibiotics kicked in and so did the various prescription drugs) postponed it to Tuesday!

The Mountain (taken from the graveyard scene in the Haunted Mansion Holiday) has 32 plastic pumpkins (most of them are pumpkin cady buckets, but some are actual blowmolds!). It took 5 Firefli units to cover the mountain so that each pumpkin was RGB capable. Looks like I would have had an easier time if I had waited for the CCB to come out next year!! It was my first attempt at sequencing with the RGB option in S2 (all my old RGB sequence still have a 3 channel setup with intensities)

On a side note, the talking pumpkin hads been together for 4 Halloweens and sitting outside the whole time and still works! The fence has also been assembled for 4 Halloweens with the orange Costco LEDs attached are still alive (one small section was out).

During the final setup during the day droves of cars came by and asked what time the show was. I actually thought the turnout would be low, I was dead wrong. We did 3 shows, and the crowd for the first show was amazing. The show times were 7:30, 8:00 and 8:30 (in retrospect, we should have started earlier being a school night). We are in the California central valley and we had people drive almost 2 hours in rush hour traffic from San Francisco to watch a ten minute show!!

Hope you enjoy it! (if you don't, I am sorry)

For those fellow Firefli users, you will enjoy the caption and the 9:00 mark!

Nice job. Such a cool thing to do a live show along with the lights.
Cudos on your forethought and showmanship for doing it.

Bill

Thank you! Yes, Ben 10 is my favorite also, it was more of a story. This year was just lacking...... (It didn't help that people were wishywashy on being in the show).

I did learn that I need to stick with Lights on the costumes, it just adds to the show.

On friday's episode of Ben 10 Kevin Levin made a reference to 2 shows he used to watch: Captain Planet and the X-files, It was awesome, my wife came running out of the kitchen (huge X-files fan) when Kevin said: this is just like that other show I used to watch with the 2 FBI agents that went around investigation odd stuff(standing next to 2 FBI agents that look and act like them), whats the name of that show? Anyone? I'll remember it.

Then we got the "I want to believe" catch phrase!