Light-O-Rama Forums

pumpkin face

mf123

if made a pumpkin face out of black bored and strings of lights but how do you make them out of rope light?? and i saw so many diffident ones where is the website with all those patters. and keep it 40-80$$

i went to that website yes but i want to make one out of a frame and rope light
and i need to know if i can get like 30 ft of rope light and cut it and get addapters to make it a bunch of smaller ones

If you look back thru the Halloween subtopic, you'll have to go back to last year for Cracker's Pumpkin Face thread.. its the same faces that you posted in the pix. anyway, you'll have to go thru that thread and read up how its done.

I made my faces last year, 4'x4' for the small (chorus) faces, and 6'x6' for the main face.. the frame was 1/2" pvc, cattle fencing (2"x3") from HomeDepot was the grid.

I bought a spool of 150' rope light from CreativeLighting.. it was an incandescent light closeout, $55 with 6 plug ends.. there was a link on the paper how to make more easily.. I'll see if I can find it and post. Each face was seven sections, two for the eyes (so they blink) and five for the mouth, vowels. I dont remember specifically how much each face took, but I dont think 30' of rope will be enough.

I made mine out of 3/4inch PVC sph40. I made 2 frames, but only had enough channels for one face this year. I made a 5x5 frame, used rabbit cage wire that I got from Lowe's for like 9.00 for a roll of 50ft. and used wire-ties to hold down the rope light. I got all my rope light and accessories from the company, TJ said, face is 7 channels but really .... its all up to your imagination! Search the forums and you will find quite a lot of info on this, but also....think outside the box, have fun and enjoy.

here is a shot of mine.
http://forums.lightorama.com/attachment.php?id=14996

I used "hardware fencing" which is a plastic flexible grid and zip ties. I used furring strips for the wooden border. You can cut the incandescent rope light about every 18 inches. For power I shoved little brads into the ends where you see the two dots and soldered power cords to the other end. Or you can buy the power ends. For sharp edges you can make loops and cover them with black electrical tape and it will appear as a sharp turn at night. Use 3/8 ropelight which is more flexible than 1/2 ropelight.

• 1 month later...
facesoa.jpg
I've been working on this the last few days, I don't want it to look to pumpkiny because I might make it a Grinch during Christmas.. Its not done yet because it needs zip tied to make some bends better. I used 2 18' red rope lights from Menards and a 12' from ACE. Can't wait to fire it up after I take down the Christmas display...

Matt, did you not go thru the Halloween subtopic like I wrote? Did you not read any of those posts? Did you not get anything thing from those? ALL the info is there.

• 2 months later...

TJ, what are you going to be doing different this year? Two years of pumpkin faces are getting old :( Wish I could win the lotto and go all rgb strips this year! :)

Hey Bob, 'faces are in storage, as is the Black Pearl.. as I'm doing Corpse Bride theme this year.. using VSA and the talking pirate skulls for the Bone Band, so the hardest build will be making Victor's, Victoria's and Emily's faces.. I'll be a busy builder this summer!