Light-O-Rama Forums

Erratic CCR display

BillyT

In my visualization I have over 250 channels runnning with one CCR. The display of the CCR is not consistent. Sometimes it shows ok, sometimes not at all. Exiting the visualizer and re-opening will often times bring it back. The sequence I just got finished with (one from last year requiring simple updating), uses macros and regular chanel programming. Last time I opened the visualizer, only the macros displayed. If I turn off all the options in the visualizer (move grid, button colors etc.) my CPU usage goes down to about 50% (it is cranking with everything on), so I don't think it's resource related. The GPU isn't working hard at all (GEForce 8800).

I guess it has something to do with how I have my visualization setup, because if I only turn on the CCR, it doesn't have a problem.

There could be a problem with the visualizer too. Send me a copy of the vis and the sequence. Mike@lightorama.com and let me have a look.

Thanks. I'll have a look at it in the morning. Since you are talking about macros, you may also want to refer to the CCR user manual.

The thing that trips up a lot of people is not setting parameters for Color Effects, Macros, or Resolution at least 1 column BEFORE they are needed.

Remember, you are NOT assured of the order that commands are sent - to either the hardware OR the visualizer. It may be working one way and not another because the Sequence Editor (or show runner) sends the commands in a different order.

Mike - have you had a chance to look at this yet? I would like to know if there is something I can do to minimize this issue or if it is a confirmed problem that may be fixed sometime in the future.

Sorry Billy, this has been a horrible week for work :( I'm in the office right now picking through it. I hope to have an answer for you tonight.

Yup, I'm pretty sure you are getting burned by the 'Random' order of channels thing I described above.

I'm going to send your sequence back to you with a couple of mods. @1:12:15 you'll see where I moved the parameters for your color mode and macro selection to one column BEFORE you needed them. This section appears to run correctly in the visualizer. I did NOT modify the section @ 1:39.75, and this section doesn't work. That's because the macro/color mode is hitting at the same time or before the parameters.

Even on real hardware this can be an issue. Please take a look at this PDF Page 24 "Caveats": http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CR150D_Man_Web.pdf

Attached files 276960=15341-macros.jpg

Mike- thanks for taking the time to post here and also to reply to my email. When you made this suggestion Sunday, I again looked at the CCR manual to try to get a grasp of what you were implying. Didn't really get it. You have shown pretty clearly what I can do to prevent one of the issues I was dealing with. Thanks again!

I figured you were going to make suggestions on what I could do to make the visualization better. Guess I did ok with that.

Well, I made the suggestions you proposed to both sections of the sequence using the macros (even did the same to the end of the macros). Once the first macro is finished, the CCR is unresponsive. If I turn off all levels but the CCR it gets through the entire sequence fine.

This is too bad, I was feeling really good about the visualizer at first, now it's somewhat of a disappointment.

I don't believe this happens with a real CCR, if this problem crops up on the next sequence I work on, I'll connect it to confirm. Spent too much time playing with this one now.

Create me a couple of simple sequences with a visualizer file to demonstrate what you are talking about. I have to hand-walk through commands, so the less going on the better. Tell me exactly how to duplicate the issue and I'll have another look.

Sorry, I must not have explained what I need correctly.

I have to look through thousands of commands as they come across from the sequence editor, and how those commands interact with all the stuff in a visualizer file to figure out if something is going wrong and what that problem is.

Since you are saying that my solution didn't work, I must not understand the problem as it exists, and will need to duplicate it. To help you, I need you to create this data since you are the one reporting the problem. To be as efficient as possible, I need you to create the minimum amount of data to duplicate the problem.

The sequence and the visualizer you sent me are far too big for me to figure out what could be going wrong.