Light-O-Rama Forums

layering

travis p

for lack of a better term how can i layer lights with out them laying on top of each other as in the roof of a three color house

t purser wrote:

for lack of a better term how can i layer lights with out them laying on top of each other as in the roof of a three color house

Mike,

I clicked on the Help button, scrolled down to Visualizer and clicked Advanced tab. This is what was there:

The Light-O-Rama Visualizer allows you to stack objects on top of one another, and then specify which are on top of the others. In the computer world, this is called "Z-Order", or "layering". Things that are in the foreground will have a higher "level" than those in the background.

There are several ways you can use levels:

• While a simulation is running, objects that are in the foreground will be rendered "on top of" those in the background. This gives a "see through" effect that more accurately represents your stage.
• You can also turn off one or more levels during simulation. This could be useful if you have foreground objects that are completely obscuring things in the background, or if you are trying to increase the performance of the simulation.
• During editing, placing your fixtures on levels allows you to segregate your stage. For example, while drawing your background lighting, you could turn off all other levels, or display them at a lower intensity.

The Level Visibility and Properties box allows you to turn levels on or off for simulation, rename them, et cetera. A fixture can be moved between levels in several ways, by selecting the fixture and then:

• Using the properties box of the fixture
• Using the "Move Forward" or "Move Backward" icon
• Using the "Move to Foreground" or "Send to Background" icon

You could also make one stringof lights be three channels. Then every third bulb would be the same color. On the fixture properties window, assign the 3 channels to that string.