Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobes

captainron19

Thinking about incorporating some strobes into my show for this year and have seen the c9 screw in type.... First are they compatible with LOR? I understand dimming and twinkling effect would not work but just want to make sure they are ok to use. Also I have seen different ones with different flash rates per second and some that are LED ..... any ones better than the others and what is the draw per bulb?

Well I have both the regular xeon type strobe (3 to 4 flashes per second): http://www.creativedisplays.com/products/15/Wholesale-Christmas-Lighting/
and LED strobes (2 to 3 flashes per second): http://www.creativedisplays.com/product/713/C-9-LED-STROBE-LIGHT/.
They both are the C9 style base.
I much prefer the regular type strobes as they look much brighter ang are more random flashing than the LED ones. The LED ones tend to all flash together for a few seconds till they get going and then they will begin to flash more randomly whereas the regular strobes will flash random right from the start.
I have had some success with doing a "precharge" of around 15% intensity on the LED strobes for a couple of seconds before turning them on full (I am using LOR) and that helps them to go random quicker.
You are right that you can not use dimming and twinkling effects with strobes. They want to be full on or off only (except for the precharge thing for the LED ones which does not turn them on).
I am currently using 40 regular xeon strobes (3 to 4 flashes per second) along with 80 LED strobes (20-white, 20-blue, 20-red, 20-green). The LED colors work okay in my mega tree but I do like the brillance and "pop" of the xeon ones better overall.
Some folks have had trouble with moisture in their strobes and there are some thoughts about drilling weep holes into the lens and base to allow moisture out. I personally have not had any trouble with moisture other than 2 strobes which had moisture in them and that was because of seal failure. I took them apart, let them dry for a few days, put them back together with silicone rtv and they have worked fine since.
Hope that helps.
Bill

Thanks Bill yes it helps.... I was actually looking at these I ssaw at CDI http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=713 but when he showed the video of the LED strobes they seem to flash a lot more than the incandescent ones.

I got my LED strobes from CDI and my regular ones from Daryl over at Christmas Light Show:
http://www.christmaslightshow.com/curtain-strobe-light.html
so that may be the difference in the regular strobes.
Daryl does have a regular strobe that fires at 1 flash per second as well.

LED strobes were the hot item when they came out but it seems that many that switched to them from traditional xenon strobes have been disappointed. I know that several have switched back. I best heard it described that LED strobes seem to blink, whereas xenon strobes seem to flash (more "pop" to them). Xenon strobes randomize instantly, whereas LED strobes usually start out in sync for a few seconds (though "pre-charging" can help this).
I have loved my Xenon strobes from CLS, and since they started coating the boards in them in the fall of 2009, their failure rate has dramatically reduced. I haven't had a single failure out of about 40 strobes. Daryll does recommend a weep hole (as do I). They are water-tight (they are supposedly submerge tested) but none of them are humidity-tight (they would have to be sealed in a vacuum to do that). So the air in them has humidity in it, and as the sun heats them during the day (even in the winter) the humidity condenses and creates a puddle inside (picture them as mini greenhouses). You have to allow the way for the water to get out (since, again, they are water-tight), thus the weep holes.
Xenon strobes work well with LOR. They just have to be turned on 100% (fades, shimmers, etc. would damage the bulbs).

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/curtain-strobe-light.html

Thanks for the tips guys.... I had already placed an order with CDI for the LED strobes and after reading your comments I regretted not getting the incandescent ones.... luckily I emailed Paul at CDI and he was able to alter my order.

I thought that exactly and made sure I expressed that to him when he emailed me back with a positive reply! If all companies were run like his no matter what the industry this world would be a better place.

ok ..... So here is what might be a stupid question.

For best effect ... does it make a difference if they Xenon strobes are viewed from the side or the top ?!

Just trying to plan how to mount the strobes.

Thanks.

Dave

RaceMedic wrote:

ok ..... So here is what might be a stupid question.

For best effect ... does it make a difference if they Xenon strobes are viewed from the side or the top ?!

Just trying to plan how to mount the strobes.

Thanks.

Dave

With CLS's xenon strobes, I don't know that I can tell a difference with them either way. One thing to consider though is that you want them at least tilted a little one way or the other so you can have the weep hole on the downside and the water will run towards it.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

With CLS's xenon strobes, I don't know that I can tell a difference with them either way. One thing to consider though is that you want them at least tilted a little one way or the other so you can have the weep hole on the downside and the water will run towards it.

Someone had mentioned that with the Xenon ones from CDI that there was no need for wheep holes .. from day one this whole topic has had me puzzled as to whether they are needed or not.

Still a newbie to the strobe component of the show !

Dave