Light-O-Rama Forums

Simulation Mode in Visualizer

Denise Nelson

Couple of issues regarding the Simulation Mode that I could not find answeres to in the Help menu:

1. I created a string of lights to represent a multi colored snowman that will be on one unit and circuit. I had created the snowman with 3 different colors in the string. However, when I assigned the unit/circuit on the first color and then tested by playing a song in Seq. Editor, only that color showed. So I went back to the snowman's Channel Setting; clicked on the second light color, set the device-unit-circuit to the same as the first light and when I clicked on OK and returned to the Fixture Property box, that color disappeared! :shock: SO my question: can Visualizer simulate a multi color string of lights that are connected to the same unit/circuit? How?

2. When I work on a song in Seq Editor, I like to have the Simulator on at the same time in a small window to observe what it will look like. However, when I bring up the simulator from Visualizer, and "shrink" the window, I lose half the picture. And yes, I have changed the size of the picture several times to come up with one that would fit the size I would like, but I still get only part of the show in it. I have no way to center the picture in the window. :shock: Is there a way to control the size of the visualizer window, and/or center it in the window? How?

As long as you are using a string instead of a single bulb, see the attached picture, is this what you are trying to do?

Attached files 274516=15173-Mini Tree.jpg

Nope. This will be ONE string of lights - multi color strand on a snowman fixture that the whole string will light up at the same time. (I am NOT using several sets of strings,each different color.) The one strand of lights that are on the actual snowman is one continuous strand of multi-color lights. I just want the entire strand to light up using only one Unit and one circuit. In Visualizer, when I created the snowman with the multi string, it shows it as a multi colored string. However, when I click on Simulation Mode, and the song starts to play, only the first color (red) that I assigned the unit/circuit number to will show during play.

I was hoping that I could "visualize" the actual multi colored strand. As it is now, I can "see" only the red bulbs when I run the visualizer in simulation mode during the visualization via Seq. Editor. But when I stop running it in simulation mode and return to the Visualizer as I have created it, the multi colored string shows, but not during the simulation. :shock: Does it make sense now? I hope so, cause I'm confused now! Aahhhhg!

That is the issue. I cannot make a fixture using a multi colored strand of lights using the same unit/circuit number (like unit 01, circuit 01 for each different color within the one string of mini lights that have multi colors in it) in the one fixture to simulate just one string of lights that have mulit colors,) during the simulation mode. The program will not allow me to assign the same unit/circuit number for each individual color (within one string). Please let me know if this makes sense... 'cause I think I just blew a fuse in my p-brain...:D

DevMike: Thank you for the links. The first one on multi color channels (string) really helped. I now can control the strings. I appreciate your help - I didn't have enough hair left on my head to pull out as I tried to figure this out!:D

The second link I had already read and done. Since I had posted, I played with it and finally figured out how to manipulate the window and somehow, this time the sliders were visible and I was able to slide the picture into view to see the whole stage. Thank you.

Is there a way to keep the Visualiser's Simulation Mode window to stay on top of the Seq Editor when pressing buttons like "play" and "stop"? Right now when I am in Seq Editor and hit the play button, the Simulator goes away and I have to click on the task bar for the simulator and click on the simulation window. The same happens when I stop the song to make changes, the simulator window closes. Is this something to add to our wish list? But if there is a way to keep it on let me know.

Thank you soooo much for all your help! You guys rule!

At this time no, there is no way to keep the simulation window on top, or start the sequence editor from the Visualizer. However that is a frequent request and is on the wishlist.

Glad you got it sorted out DeniseN

Inside joke for Mike.

Multicolor strings in the visualizer...... What a waste of programming time!!!;):)

Its still useless to me.:shock::P

Paul Roberson wrote:

Inside joke for Mike.

Multicolor strings in the visualizer...... What a waste of programming time!!!;):)

Paul, you do understand that I can read the msgs, don't you? If this is how you treat customers, I would appreciate you not trashing me or others like me. It's . You do things your way, we do things our way.:(

Denise:

Paul and I are friends and he likes to rib me whenever he get's a chance. One of the things he was always poking at me was my 'waste of time' on Multi-Color. If you would have seen the Beta Board, you would understand (Getting Multi-Color to work consumed me much like the Whale consumed Ahab).

He didn't mean anything towards you, and I know he finds Multi-Color valuable.

Mike, I can understand about "ribbing". I used to do it as well through private IM's, NOT in an open forum where customers can read and take it personally.

But I understand the pressure you are all in, 'cause I've been there and done that. I will take it as toungue-in-cheek from now on.

DeniseN wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Inside joke for Mike.

Paul, you do understand that I can read the msgs, don't you? If this is how you treat customers, I would appreciate you not trashing me or others like me. It's . You do things your way, we do things our way.:(

My sincere apologies, it was nothing towards you at all. I was not trashing you or anyone like you in any way! I feel awful that you thought I was saying anything bad about your or anyone else!!

For the record I do not work for LOR and I have no customers. I am just like most everyone else here on the boards. The "beta testers" you see under some names are just LOR customers trying to find problems with the software the way we use it.

Mike's explanation as to what I meant was spot on. When the visualizer was released for beta testing there was no multicolor string feature. It took allot of his time and frankly allot of time on the part of the beta testers to get it sorted out.

Again I am sorry for the mis-understanding.

The Beta Testers and I all became very close during the testing period. Sometimes we forget that we are not in a closed forum.

I make it a point to keep things loose during testing to ensure that I am approachable for any kind of problem. If anyone is to blame, it's me and I apologize if anything here made you feel less than valued.

DeniseN wrote:

Mike, I can understand about "ribbing". I used to do it as well through private IM's, NOT in an open forum where customers can read and take it personally.

But I understand the pressure you are all in, 'cause I've been there and done that. I will take it as toungue-in-cheek from now on.

You are correct. I should have done it in a PM. That way there would have been no chance of someone mis-understanding or taking it personally.

Paul Roberson wrote:

DeniseN wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

Inside joke for Mike.

Multicolor strings in the visualizer...... What a waste of programming time!!!;):D

My sincere apologies, it was nothing towards you at all. I was not trashing you or anyone like you in any way! I feel awful that you thought I was saying anything bad about your or anyone else!!

For the record I do not work for LOR and I have no customers. I am just like most everyone else here on the boards. The "beta testers" you see under some names are just LOR customers trying to find problems with the software the way we use it.

Mike's explanation as to what I meant was spot on. When the visualizer was released for beta testing there was no multicolor string feature. It took allot of his time and frankly allot of time on the part of the beta testers to get it sorted out.

Again I am sorry for the mis-understanding.

Apology accepted. When I got up this morning after just a few hours of sleep because I was working on the sequences to the wee hours of the night. I had not had my java fix and was in a grumpy mood and it took it personal. But I have had some coffee and am feeling better. I totally understand inside jokes. I used to work for several credit card companies from home and we used to joke via IM to supervisors and the like. That's how we used to blow off steam during stressful times. I won't take things personally in the future.:P

Jeff Millard wrote:

Dear forum, Paul meant no harm with his post (to anyone but me:P) He was playing on a post I made in the Beta Forum early on in testing, and even said in quotes that it was an inside joke. So please don't let his antics offend you. He's one of the kindest people I know in this hobby (well, to everyone else anyway...)

Jeff :cool:

Got it. You guys are as crazy as I am. I just didn't have my java fix and was grumpy. Sequencing will do that!:shock: Keep up the jokes, they are funny and entertaining. After all, most of you are humans, right?:cool: