Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM Replacement Antenna

Don

Suppose, for a moment, you know someone with an EDM that needs to replace the antenna that came with their unit.

Where does one get this? Added points if it's something really easy.

The "test antenna" supplied is a 1 meter length of stranded wire, possibly 22 guage soldered to the tip of a RCA style plug.

You can make one in 5 seconds once your iron gets up to temp.

Is this easy enough? How many points do I get ? lol

Don wrote:

Suppose, for a moment, you know someone with an EDM that needs to replace the antenna that came with their unit.

Where does one get this? Added points if it's something really easy.

That person, should really consider taking the hour or so and make a real antenna like a j-pole or another type. My j-pole took me less than an hr, have had it hooked up to the EDM for years, and works great. Just Google J-pole and lots of helpful website are there to show ho to make.

JBullard wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
EDM also will sell you a rubber duck antenna for twelve dollars...

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

It comes with a BNC connection.

It also includes the required BNC to RCA adapter

I tripped across this thread and strangely enough I was researching this issue for someone else. I ran into a similar rubber duck antenna on eBay for $10 with free shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FM-1-2-Wave-Dipole-Indoor-Transmitter-Antenna-9-cx-BNC-/130555790452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e65bb4474

I use this adapter ... with a 75 foot quad-shielded coax cable to ... This antenna.

The outcome is amazing... the transmitter is in my basement, my antenna is behind some pretty big trees, but I can still get about a mile out of it. Cant be beat for a $40 antenna setup!!

ace_master wrote:

I use this adapter ... with a 75 foot quad-shielded coax cable to ... This antenna.

The outcome is amazing... the transmitter is in my basement, my antenna is behind some pretty big trees, but I can still get about a mile out of it. Cant be beat for a $40 antenna setup!!

Looks like a nice antenna for the price. What I fail to see is why you need to get a mile range out of it when visitors aren't going to see your house from a mile away. You might risk a fine and confiscation of your transmitter... which is exactly what happened to 2 people in my city last year and the year before.

I purchased a ground plane antenna from Dennis Cherry that works great!

Here is a link to his selling page from over on the PC forum when he was selling them in 09:
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?showtopic=33701&hl=edm+antenna&fromsearch=1

I have not seen anything from Dennis about selling antennas in awhile so maybe he is out of doing it, but the one I got from him is fine.
Since he is a member here on this forum as well maybe drop him a PM and see?
It never hurts to ask.

Bill