Light-O-Rama Forums

Gotta be a better C9 socket

Papa-LF

Tired of my strobes failing half way through the season due to the vampire plug they are connected with loosing its connection with the wire. I have looked around several times, no good answer - YET.. Don't mind paying for a good C9 socket for spt2. Any suggestions, links, etc?

I started putting my mega tree a few hours ago, while 25 feet in the air on a lift I tested the 2 strobes in the star - they both failed due to this challenge. ARGH!

Are you sure it is the vampire into the wire, versus the contacts inside the socket not making good contact. A few years ago some strobes were out that did not have long enough base to seat in the sockets. The socket rim bottomed out on the base of the strobe. The solution in this case was to shorten the height of the socket. The easiest way was to run the socket rim briefly on a belt sander to remove a little of the socket. This would allow the strobe to screw in and make good contact with the center contact in the base.

Chuck

Positive Chuck...

I bought some TL47 Turbolites for part of my display and the sockets are bullet proof. Once you crank on the connector cap, there is no question that you have a GOOD connection.That is the kind of socket I am looking for.

http://www.nationalsupplyonline.com/Turbolight_TL47.html

Action sells them as well.http://www.actionlighting.com/items.asp?MainCategory=Amusement+Turbo+Fixtures&Sub=090+Universal&PageNo=3

Too bad these dont fit the C9 base.

Attached files 273553=15108-socket 1.jpg

I bought some strobes this spring and haven't tested them yet. I was just planning on putting them in an old C9 incandescent light string.

AND... isn't is too windy today to be putting up the mega tree???? It's howling over here by Badger Mountain.:shock:

Jeff Millard wrote:

Lowell,

If yer sure it's the vamp connection, strip and solder the wire to the pointed brass pin and close the cover. Be sure to use a little alcohol or contact cleaner to remove the flux though. The acid in the flux will help to promote corrosion in the weather and you'll be right back where you started.

Jeff

Sockets are too soft will melt and let the connector move. I found some other sockets I will be trying - were supposed to be here to day, apparently didn't make it.

Going up with my C7's on the house tomorrow, out in the shop putting dielectric grease in the sockets. Been wanting to do that for the last 5 years, keep forgetting. A little dab will do ya.

[glow=red]I GOT IT[/glow]

I found the c9 socket that will not flex under the load of my hanging strobes.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/53672/CLS-C9MAGSOCK.html

Now the initial picture on the web site is incorrect, and i have contacted 1000 bulbs and nicely explained why they should update that picture. I have attached a picture of my own. Anyway the base is solid - it has a glued in magnet - quite strong i might add - and this assembly makes the thing nicely rigid. My tests show it should hold up to what I/we do hanging strobes in a tree or whatever.

Remember to hang it with the vampire pin on the outside edge down. That helps keep things together. But i feel that wont be an issue either with this socket.

WOO HOO !

My wife thinks I am nuts to get excited about a light bulb socket... LOL

Attached files 275743=15235-MagC9Socket.jpg

Great find Lowell!

Do you have to sand down the socket like the green ones so the strobes screw in all the way (D Brown's strobes)???

wirekat wrote:

Great find Lowell!

Do you have to sand down the socket like the green ones so the strobes screw in all the way (D Brown's strobes)???

Looking at the socket thats almost a definate YES - Good thought Kevin. I was going to put strobe to socket this afternooon.

wirekat wrote:

Great find Lowell!

UPDATE ON LAST POST! No sanding down of the socket required! I just assembled 3 strings of strobe sockets, didn't trim a one. I did need to adjust some of the vampire pins but that was quite simple.

Very happy with my find.

I just bought a bunch for my strobes from CDI. Anyone have any experience with those?

I bought some from another dealer for the 4th show, and they sucked and loosened during the time the display was up, just like you guys mentioned.

paulanator wrote:

I just bought a bunch for my strobes from CDI. Anyone have any experience with those?

I bought some from another dealer for the 4th show, and they sucked and loosened during the time the display was up, just like you guys mentioned.

If ya want to fight it, go with what ya got. If you want to enjoy your show and not be unhappy about failed strobes - scroll back up to the (I think its post 9) click on the link and place an order. You will need to have SPT1 wire, and i recommend the soft green wire, not that hard black stuff that gets harder with age. http://www.actionlighting.com/Items.asp?Criteria=spt1+wire OR http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/7918/HLS-WIRE250G.html

Happy Trails!