Light-O-Rama Forums

Repairing plastic gears

toddmoon

I have a witch head that uses a 1 inch plastic wheel with a metal shaft in the middle to rotate the head. The center has rounded out. I tried using some epoxy glue to put it back together and that worked for about an hour and then failed.

What is the best way short of ordering a replacement gear of fixing this. Is there some sort of glue or resin that will hold up and do the job?

Not sure without seeing the gear to say, but there is an epoxy made for plastic (by Devcon) that I have used to repair plastic items.
Trouble is the shaft is causing a lot of torque on the plastic and that is why it has rounded out probably. If you can get a washer with a small hole in it and then make the hole flat on one side to fit the metal shaft. Then epoxy the washer to the plastic gear. That will help with the torque and you can get a fairly good coat of epoxy on the washer and the gear to help strenghten the whole assembly.
Hope that makes sense for you. I build a lot of special pieces for things since I am too cheap to want to buy new ones and I like the challenge of trying to fix things.
Bill

Ha Larry beat me to the JB Weld as an option!!

I tried the JB weld last year just filling in the rounded hole to the square shaft. I worked for about an hour. I may try the washer and see if I can punch out square to it and then JB weld it. I may be able to pop rivet through the 1 inch wheel through the washer as well. I will have to see if I have the clearance to do it.

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking the JB weld also. Sounds like you where being stingy with the epoxy. Give it a good liberal amount. Is there any bearings on this shaft? Make sure that they are free moving.

Photo 2 of wheel. I tried looking up on Gemmy to see if it was even possible to order replacement parts for this witch. I am going to have to see if I can locate a part number and see if it is even possible.

I may just just go to my local machine shop and have them fabricate me a new metal wheel to replace the plastic one. I can see now why they quit selling them. The whole wheel system to the head design is a very poor one. It is a really cool prop though and I really want to get it going again for this Halloween.

Attached files 273861=15129-DSCF1452.JPG

I see now what you mean.
Looks like there is not a lot of extra room on either side of the wheel to make mods too or for a lot of epoxy or washers.
If you have a machine shop that can fabricate up a new wheel for you then I would think that it would be the best way to go as long as it doesn't cost more than a whole new head would.
Usually shops like to make things like this though as it is good PR work for them and gets the word out that they are "handy" at more than just large jobs too. Tell them you will build up their name for doing it and see if maybe you can get a deal for the work.
Can't hurt to try and I would bet they would like the extra work with times being what they are.
Bill

cheat, you don't need a wheel just something that pivots on that radius. get a #10-24 "tie rod coupling nut" . The are the long ones usually in the misc hardware bins at the box stores. Drill 2 holes in it through the hex flats. make 1 hole the diameter of the shaft about 1/8" from one end and the other 1/2" away that is big enough to put a pin into to attach to the head mechanism. put the nut on the motor shaft and tighten a #10 screw into that end to line up with the motor shaft flat spot.