Jump to content

LOR Serial Port Error


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Using a serial adapter. LOR's hardware utility sees my units and tests the channels just fine.

When I exit it, however, and try to "enable shows" I get an error stating:


Shows cannot be enabled because of an error. Open of serial port has failed

Error: (8015) Could not set comm state, there may be one or more invalid communications parameters.

Trace: Init Light-O-Rama port/MSComm

I am using a PCI Serial port card set to Comm 1.

PII 400; Win XP Pro.

Thanks,

Charlie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Push Eject wrote:

Hi all,

Using a serial adapter. LOR's hardware utility sees my units and tests the channels just fine.

When I exit it, however, and try to "enable shows" I get an error stating:

Shows cannot be enabled because of an error. Open of serial port has failed

Error: (8015) Could not set comm state, there may be one or more invalid communications parameters.

Trace: Init Light-O-Rama port/MSComm

I am using a PCI Serial port card set to Comm 1.

PII 400; Win XP Pro.

Thanks,

Charlie


My guess is that your Serial Port card will not allow us to set the baud rate to what ever value we want. The Hardware Utility is running okay and it runs at 19200... The default for the Sequence Editor and the Show Player is 57600 and it looks like your card does not accept our request to go to that speed.

To fix it, in the Sequence Editor, go to Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences and set the speed to the slowest speed (longest range)... That will set the SequenceEditor and ShowPlayer to run at 19200 like the Hardware Utility.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORama wrote:

My guess is that your Serial Port card will not allow us to set the baud rate to what ever value we want. The Hardware Utility is running okay and it runs at 19200... The default for the Sequence Editor and the Show Player is 57600 and it looks like your card does not accept our request to go to that speed.

To fix it, in the Sequence Editor, go to Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences and set the speed to the slowest speed (longest range)... That will set the SequenceEditor and ShowPlayer to run at 19200 like the Hardware Utility.


Hi Dan,

First, thank you for the quick reply.

You were right. Setting it to the slowest speed resolved the issue! Now that begs two questions:

1. Why would a brand new serial card on a PCI bus not be able to go as fast as possible; could there be a resource setup that would optimize it? In Windows' Device Manager it can be set to default much faster than 57600.

And more importantly:

2. What do I lose by running LOR at the slower speed?

With my thanks,
Charlie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Push Eject wrote:

LightORama wrote:
My guess is that your Serial Port card will not allow us to set the baud rate to what ever value we want. The Hardware Utility is running okay and it runs at 19200... The default for the Sequence Editor and the Show Player is 57600 and it looks like your card does not accept our request to go to that speed.

To fix it, in the Sequence Editor, go to Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences and set the speed to the slowest speed (longest range)... That will set the SequenceEditor and ShowPlayer to run at 19200 like the Hardware Utility.


Hi Dan,

First, thank you for the quick reply.

You were right. Setting it to the slowest speed resolved the issue! Now that begs two questions:

1. Why would a brand new serial card on a PCI bus not be able to go as fast as possible; could there be a resource setup that would optimize it? In Windows' Device Manager it can be set to default much faster than 57600.

And more importantly:

2. What do I lose by running LOR at the slower speed?

With my thanks,
Charlie

Charlie,

How many channels are you running?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...