Light-O-Rama Forums

Maximum number of Fixtures in a Prop?

heystew

I've created some props for a matrix of RGBW lights as well as some RGB pixel strings. Smaller props import into the visualizer and work great. As I scale up however the Visualizer starts to crash.

Attached are an example that works, and one that doesn't.

Import prop into Visualizer, right click and choose properties. The Visualizer will then crash.

it seems that it breaks between 100 and 144 channels. Is there a 128 channel limit by any chance?

Attached files proptest.zip

There is no channel limit for props (since props are just collections of fixtures). Each fixture type has it's own maximum for channels. For example, strings are limited to 16 channels per fixture.

A single prop can have 64 attached fixtures.

I'll download your attachment and see what I can see.

Yes, I created it by hand (actually using a Perl script).

I did this since there was no way to make an RGB (pixel) string in the Visualizer. Other than for a CCR/CCB.

Looks like I'm going to have to start signing props and fixtures too.

Sorry, if you created the data by hand, you are on your own. There is a 64 fixture limit to props.

understand that I'm working outside the model, but did not find anything saying what the limits are. I've found that with large channel numbers I have often had to work outside the tool for the channel setup to make it manageable.

It's definitely a limiting factor, but if I understand the constraints then I can work with them.

So if I understand it correctly I could have up to 64 RGB pixels to a prop.

• 2 months later...

so are they going to make it so that if your not running ccr but want to make a pixel matrix like i do with 5 strips of 10 pixels for a 50 pixel rgb matrix. that you will be able to just go into the visualizer and make a matrix for pixels as you can with the ccr??

Ben,
I am sure hoping they do. This year i created all of my RGB pixel strings using a perl script. It saved hours of drawing time in the Visualizer.

the other thing to watch for is that 64 fixture limit.. as you can see from the above posts i broke that. My solution was to break my matrix (and other props) into chunks that were no bigger than 64.

if you send me the layout of your matrix I can see if i can find the script i used to generate one. basically.. where is pixel #1.. and are they RGB or RGBW