Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR multiple controllers

Guest guest

I think I am finally understanding all this lor stuff, however I do have a question. I see that some people on these boards have a 200+ channel lor configuration button in their signature. Does that mean that they have a lot of 16 channel controllers? Because when I look at lor store page on their web site, the biggest controller I see is 16 channels and thats not cheap. I couldn't imagine buying 12 of these (about 200/16) Do I have this all right?

chiefsmurph wrote:

I think I am finally understanding all this lor stuff, however I do have a question. I see that some people on these boards have a 200+ channel lor configuration button in their signature. Does that mean that they have a lot of 16 channel controllers? Because when I look at lor store page on their web site, the biggest controller I see is 16 channels and thats not cheap. I couldn't imagine buying 12 of these (about 200/16) Do I have this all right?

You have it right. No one said this was a cheap hobby. :)

I see. Lets say I use a Cat 5 cable to connect the controller to my computer inside. 1) How do you get them connected if the computer is inside? 2) Do I still need some kind of usb connector?

chiefsmurph wrote:

I see. Lets say I use a Cat 5 cable to connect the controller to my computer inside. 1) How do you get them connected if the computer is inside? 2) Do I still need some kind of usb connector?

2) You need a converter of some sort to get the LOR signal to your controllers. You either needs the RS232 to RS485 adapter (Serial to RJ45) or one of the USB options available for purchase.

1) Some people run a cable out the window. I was able to wire mine directly into the house. I simply connect the cable to the jack in the wall, and to the jack outside. Others use the wireless options, while others use the MP3 player to direct their shows.

I guess while Im at it, I would slip in another question: Do you start working on your sequences before putting all your lights up?

If you've had a display in the past, it's pretty easy to start sequencing before you put the lights up. If not, you will have to do some planning before you start sequencing. The actual programming of the lights will take a while, so it's advisable to start well in advance.