Light-O-Rama Forums

I made an LOR tutorial and have it online for a short time.

Guest guest

I would like to see someone that actually knows what they are doing make a video like this. I am somewhat presumptuous jumping in and making a video when I barely know right from left but I think this will be helpful to a brand new user.

It is a flash object or movie or whatever the correct term is, embedded in a web page on my site.

http://www.bitemebbq.com/lorxample.html

I made this on my laptop and it might be a little wide for a desktop screen. This is my first attempt so bear with me and it turns out, giving play by play commentary is much more difficult that it looks on TV.

PS. I won't leave it up for very long, it is big and will eat up to much bandwidth. If anyone likes it and/or wants to host it. I will send it to you.

Awesome tutorial! Being a newbie (I have not even received a full version of LOR or my controllers yet...waiting to ship) I am excited to see the workings.

I have played around with LOR and this helps to break it down. I heard a saying once that really applies with LOR "how do you eat an elephant....one bite at a time". You really did a good job demonstrating the patience needed for projects.

I do have a few questions:

1. You mentioned they would have the media wizard available in the next version. What is the media wizard?

2. You seemed to just be tapping at a constant pace (not to the beat or to the music)...is this preference, or for a reason? By no means am I pointing out any fault...just trying to learn!

3. Can you combine effects? (i.e. can you have a fading twinkle)?

4. Is it possible to save an animation (drawing) to be able to open as a template for a new song or animation?

5. Can you save multiple animations individually, and then put them into a single animation? (i.e. if I animate a light tree, save it....animate a nativity...save it...then make one animation that has the light tree and the nativity together)?

You did a great job helping out us new guys on the block! KUDOS!!!!!

Thanks,

Phil

hondaguy929 wrote:

Awesome tutorial! Being a newbie (I have not even received a full version of LOR or my controllers yet...waiting to ship) I am excited to see the workings.

I have played around with LOR and this helps to break it down. I heard a saying once that really applies with LOR "how do you eat an elephant....one bite at a time". You really did a good job demonstrating the patience needed for projects.

I do have a few questions:

1. You mentioned they would have the media wizard available in the next version. What is the media wizard?

2. You seemed to just be tapping at a constant pace (not to the beat or to the music)...is this preference, or for a reason? By no means am I pointing out any fault...just trying to learn!

3. Can you combine effects? (i.e. can you have a fading twinkle)?

4. Is it possible to save an animation (drawing) to be able to open as a template for a new song or animation?

5. Can you save multiple animations individually, and then put them into a single animation? (i.e. if I animate a light tree, save it....animate a nativity...save it...then make one animation that has the light tree and the nativity together)?

You did a great job helping out us new guys on the block! KUDOS!!!!!

Thanks,

Phil

1. I don't recall what he said exactly, but I know the new version is supposed to have some advanced wizards that will make sequencing easier than tapping.

2. Dunno....I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the author will comment! I typically tap to the beats and words of the song. Actually, I usually run the tapper wizard 3-6 times so I can highlight different parts of the song. I find it easier to tap only the words, then only the beats, then only the trumpets, etc. So, it it just means i have to run the tapper multiple times.

3. No. There is no default to do this. However, you can build your own. I have done things like this, and it's very time consuming. So, if you don't mind spending a lot of time for a short fade, you can manually put in all the events to "fake" a fading twinkle. No tools will do this. You just have to brute force it through manual labor.

4. Yes! Use Edit-->Export Channel Configuration. This will export both the animation window and all the channels and assignments you have set up in LOR.

5. Maybe. If you set up the timing interval the same on both pieces, then you can copy and paste. There is no "easy" way to do this in LOR, but it can be done if you plan everything out correctly.

I don't know the answers to most of your questions. I am just a hack that is learning as he goes. When I wacthed the tutorial, I noticed that the taps didn't appear to be in time. I think part of it is the recording and part is I am musically challenged. They work out just fine in real life but don't seem to record very well.

The new software is supposed to contain a MIDI wizard. Midi, while I don't know the technically correct definition is the bars that go up and down in time to the music on Windows Media player or on a graphic equalizer. It will help the musically challenged keep time with the music.

Nice job Andy, I am a newbie as well. I am hoping to use LOR next year. I think tutorials like this would be a great help. Like you said hopefully this will kick uo some discussion, probably after everyone gets their stuff up and running. If you are willing to PM me your address I would love to come up and check out your show.

Mike

I have a map posted in another thread but I will put it here also. we are getting new windows in a couple of weeks so i didn't put any lights on or near my windows, so my light show isn't all that i would like but it will do.

directions.jpg

The LORWiki is only as good as the information people put into it. Haven't looked at the tutorial, but I'd be glad to host it for you.

Also, if folks out there have information they want added to the Wiki, please either go ahead and add it, or let me know.

It really has the potential to be a great resource, but I don't know what people don't know ... and can't add it in there as a result!

967andy wrote:

I don't know anything about a wiki. Can I upload files and pages or do I need to send you the files? Watch the tutorial first to make sure you think it is good enough.

The last thing I'm going to do is tell someone their work isn't appreciated.

You would need to upload the file to me. I will get with you via PM with a location to FTP the file to. I'll get it on the Wiki for you.

For anyone else who hasn't checked out the Wiki, take a look at my signature, and one of the topics at the top of this page. The LOR Wiki is a great place to learn about LOR. It contains information contributed by myself and other LOR users. Among the topics you will find are a FAQ, mounting controllers demo's and creating shows/schedules.

Please look it over, and at the very least let me know if you see something that should be added. If you feel comfortable in doing so, go ahead and do it yourself.

The LORwiki is a great site for finding information on LOR. If you can't find a specific thread here, check out the wiki. I had questions on how to set the schedule and make it work. Before I posted anything to this board I looked there. I found all the information I needed and I had it working in nothing flat.

I highly suggest using the LORwiki or doing a search here first before making a post. My 2 cents.

The last thing I'm going to do is tell someone their work isn't appreciated.

thanks but just like Dirty Harry said, "A man needs to know his limitations ." Public speaking isn't my strong point and I don't know as much about LOR as others but I had the software to make the tutorial and nerve enough to take a shot.