Light-O-Rama Forums

Trick or Treat

Champions Gate Holiday House

To those of us who tend to go overboard on Halloween, we essentially are advertising for Trick or Treaters.

For the last several years I've struggled to find the "proper" amount of candy to give out to the kids. I end up spending a small fortune on candy, and don't really mind. But I hear from so many kids that nobody in my neighborhood gives "good" candy. Money is pretty tight this year, but I don't want to gyp the kiddies.

I usually reward the little demons with 4 or 5 "bite size" candies.

What do you give?

In that case I am a cheapo. I give out 2 maybe 3 if I like the kid. Then again we use to get 300 to 400 kids. Then I moved and bought candy assuming we'd have that many and we had around 100.

WDWTEK wrote:

To those of us who tend to go overboard on Halloween, we essentially are advertising for Trick or Treaters.

For the last several years I've struggled to find the "proper" amount of candy to give out to the kids. I end up spending a small fortune on candy, and don't really mind. But I hear from so many kids that nobody in my neighborhood gives "good" candy. Money is pretty tight this year, but I don't want to gyp the kiddies.

What do you give?

Not sure what part of Champions Gate you live...but nice neighborhood, I think 4 to 5 is more than adequate. I live in the sticks, but a nice housing development, and we do 3 to 4, and that tends to be more than most houses give out. iT doesn't help that the fun size bags that used to have 30 bars in them have about 22 now for the same price :X

Jim Saul wrote:

we get 8 kids and so each of them gets 2 handfuls.
guess the rest do not want to come to the house with Christmas set up??

Jim ...do you live right in Fergus Falls or out of town?

LOL I'm right in town, I usually don't give candy to big kids but if you come I'll make an exception ;)

At the end of my street is a large church that does a trunk-r-treat in the parking lot where kids can go and in 15 minutes hit up 100+ cars and get candy at them so I guess they are not motivated to go the 1/4 of mile to my house?

WDWTEK wrote:

What do you give?

I give out the same as you.

If they are teenagers or older OR they just have a pillow cover for their candy and no costume. I give them only 1 candy. They didn't deserve it nor will they appreciate it like the little/younger ones.

I give 3 candies inside those small Halloween bags (one bag per person). That way all get the same and its easier to hand out. We usually get 10 to 20 kids at a time with a total of about 200 kids for the evening, everyone seems to be happy.:P

its hard to judge last year we got hammered kids came in vans and parked on the side of the street dont now about this year will have lots of candy for the little ones

I have about 100 kids that drop by so I've learned to stretch my dollar. I buy a few bags of name brand candy bars and a few bags of less expensive loose candy. I remember that when I was a kid, my parents tossed out anything that looked suspect. I didn't want the money I spend on candy to be tossed out so I place the each small pile of candy in an inexpensive sandwich bag. Each bag is sealed with a mailing label that has my name, address, and the message, "Have a safe and Happy Halloween".