Light-O-Rama Forums

Real Mega tree

Dan C

This year I purchased an extra controller during the sale to have an extra just in case... But then I got thinking I could use it this year on a mega tree. Most people use some sort of pole to build theirs but I don't really have room in my yard for such a large/tall object. I do have a real maple tree though that I usually wrap in about 20 sets of red lights.

I was thinking this year rather than wrapping the lights around the tree, I would just lift them up to the top of the tree and let them hang down the side in a stright line as best as I could get them. Then hookup the controller and have 16 channels of Red.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this on a real tree before, and what were the results.

I know most of you will say just go for it, and see how it looks. But I don't have anything sequences for this yet. It is simply a single channel right now. If I turn it into 16, then I don't know if I will have time to sequence that for 14 songs.

Thanks.

I think it would look really good.

And the sequencing of a mega tree isn't that hard. Much simpler if that's all you have to do for each sequence.

Also, make sure the shape of the tree matches the way you hang your lights. Our town tried to make a huge 10 foot tall bush be the town tree, but it was just as wide as it was tall, and ended up looking like the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. Horrible!

If your shape is good, or your plan for lighting makes it look good, go for it. Sequencing can be very simple if you just add it to what you already have, and do some simple chases, or you can do more in depth if you have time.

YOu can do this...depending on how long your light strings are in relationship to the tree...start at the top, bring the string to the end of the bottom branch, 1 zip tie, then straight line it back to the trunk, creating more of a xmas tree shape.

As far as sequencing, if you have common songs, borrow just that portion from someone elses sequence, there are hundreds of them out there with mega trees. When I added arches, thats how I did alot of my arches

That tree will look good as you want to do it.

if the strands aren't long enough, still start at the top center point and let them come down. If anything, it might be a "mega umbrella", which in my mind would look cool.

If you have the extra controller, put it to use!!!

Also there is nothing to say EVERY song has to be ready with the mega tree programmed at start up time.

You said its a singel channel now. Take that single channel and copy and paste it into your 16 new channels (yes all 16 channels). Now your 16 channel tree looks just as before (as one channel). Now as you have time take each sequence and work on the programming for the 16 channel tree. If you have all your sequences done by opening night good. If not your still set to go operating the 16 channels as one, just like last year.

I think the tree could look good strung up like a 16 channel mega tree. Only one real way to find out.:P

Guest Don Gillespie

You know you might be on to something here, I have 5 large trees in my yard this could be next years show peice, of course I want to see video of yours I am sure it will look great. :P

Why not use the tree as your peak and run off the front. Instead of making a circle all the way around the tree, like if you were going to make a 3d tree off the building. The two center strand at the bottom however many feet away from the edge, and as you expand left and right, get a little closer in.