Light-O-Rama Forums

New and Improved PDF Coro Star

jimswinder

Here is my earlier star, but with a PVC frame for support.

The dimensions in the picture are for the white lines, which are the CUT lengths of the 3/4" PVC.

All fittings are 45 degree elbows. I just zip tied the frame to the coroplastic.

Red Star is 100ct LED's, Blue is a 70ct string and the Pure White is a 50ct string.
Red and white lights are spaced 1" on center and blue is 1-1/8" on center.

If you would like the PDF file so you can print out your own, just PM me.

Attached files 269654=14925-Star Collage.jpg

Do you worry that the pvc connector at the bottom that attaches the pvc frame to the pole (not sure if this is for a megatree or what) will snap in the wind? It seems if this is reasonably high in the air, that it will catch a lot of wind. Any experience with that?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Do you worry that the pvc connector at the bottom that attaches the pvc frame to the pole (not sure if this is for a megatree or what) will snap in the wind?

**Yes I do, but my stars will be on top of my "StarSticks" (only 10' tall and on the ground) and I will have the PVC going INTO my StarStick about 2'**

It seems if this is reasonably high in the air, that it will catch a lot of wind. Any experience with that?

**Experience with these type of Stars on top of Mega Trees ...No..
Experience with Weber Trees bending and breaking from too much weight...YES!!!** :P

Jeff Millard wrote:

Expanding foam in PVC pipe makes it much less willing to shatter when bent to extremes...

Jeff

Great Idea!!! Will do that!! :D

rstately wrote:

just wondering if there is a reason the frame is not round?

never thought of that...

but I have tried to bend PVC into a circle...and you can do it, but not to such a small radius...especially 3/4" PVC

this design came about becasue origannly I was go to frame the actual shape of the star with wood...but thought that was too much work and they don't make elbows in anything other than 22-1/2, 45 and 90 degrees (though I did find some 60 degree elbows but they were like $15 per elbow!!!)

EDIT: I am working on a new addition requested by George tonight..I will add a "round frame" to the drawing also...

That would be great, I have a tubing roller so I could roll steel into a circle.
Im thinking it's about 34" but I'll wait to see the PDF...:P

How many of these are you doing in your display?

rstately wrote:

That would be great, I have a tubing roller so I could roll steel into a circle.
Im thinking it's about 34" but I'll wait to see the PDF...:o

How many of these are you doing in your display?

five....one on top of each of my "Star Columns" (formely called "StarSticks")...

"Columns" is sooo much more manly than "sticks".... :P

Attached files 269859=14932-Star-Stick.jpg

I have two new PDF's...one is a "round frame" star and a new Octagon Star that has a fourth "Solid Star" in the middle that has "light" points on the inside lines and the shape of the star itself.

Attached files 269933=14935-Octo and Round Star.jpg

Surfing4Dough wrote:

It seems if this is reasonably high in the air, that it will catch a lot of wind. Any experience with that?

My nomination for post of the week! :P:D:D:D:D

Jim - what size pvc for the poles?

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

My nomination for post of the week! :):D:D:D:D

Ok I am a little slow this morning finally got it LOL :P

• 4 weeks later...

The wind has been blowing here about 35MPH tonight. A good test for the projection screen I have mounted out front. The screen material was bowing out over a foot with mini bungee cords holding it.

• The topic was locked