Light-O-Rama Forums

Forum Upgrade - show of hands

cenote

Not meaning to start a wild fire here, but maybe if we start a thread for pro's and cons again to show LOR if it is worth upgrading this forum after the holidays, could be beneficial. Please try and keep comments to strictly forum functionality.

IMO starting over again, and loosing past threads is well worth it. I think most people on here now, prefer to ask questions, and not use the forum search tool, being that it doesn't seem to work 90% of the time for correct results. Having new tools like being able to connect via TapaTalk, and a chat plug-in is highly beneficial on today's software/hardware forums.

Just my two cents, that I didn't give the guy ring the bell...

Archive the posts and threads that are here and use this site as sort of a library if you will. Start a new forum - clean slate.

Just playing DA here:

1) way to much on the plate for either LOR or their users to go through the disruption of an upgrade before January.. (really no other reason not to do it now is needed)

2) Google site:forums.lightorama.com is a ton better than the forums own search. If I can't find it really quick in the search box, I go right to google..

3) Last time they started thinking about migrating, you all threw a collective fit about who was going to do the work. Why is it going to be any different this time?

I'd love to see everything migrated over, some time in 1Q 2012...

I think the issue before was not only Who, but HOW.
The users here have expressed their preference for forums and arrangements, and I agree- I HATE the PC subforum layout, and stopped going there because it just kept getting harder and harder to read ( For Jeff's sake , I'll leave off the OTHER reasons I stopped going there) :P

In a past life, I made forum themes for PHPBB and vBulletin (hence the name "Pixeldigger", as I was a graphics guy)

I would gladly volunteer to set up a forum for LOR

Dan, you know how to find me.

Spend time and resources on hardware and software development.

The forums work, they are not perfect, but they work.

Just like their website, it is not the fanciest, but it works, why waste time making changes when it is working.

If there are serious issues or a need to upgrade, then that is a good reason.

Strange how this morning it was so slow and now at 7:30 in the evening it is running along just fine?
The home LOR web site just loaded in less than 3 seconds and this forum is doing fine. I would have to think that it is a "service" issue somewhere along the lines?

The new forums are nicer but try to find something. Google it, follow the link the the link is bad.

So the question is -> is all the old information worth losing? Some is / some isn't.

Before an upgrade (but this will never happen) someone should make a wiki out of the good info. Like the post where someone from NJ cut up a CCR and his post advice - lol

My Vote:
Upgrade to a modern forum that has the ability to add good content to a wiki with a single click.

Should I start programming the new forum - lol

this forum is a huge depository of information if you scrap it then we lose the information unless some sort of archiving is done..

I don't see why you would have to scrap this.

I have imported, upgraded and changed many forums in the past.
One or two with many more posts and users than this one.

Again, I'd welcome the chance to try sometime.

Jeff Millard wrote:

...and, if you create a forum where I can post without fear of retribution, when some feeble little frosty worm sends a whiney fictitious email claiming they're little feeling was hurt because they read a post calling out a troll... I'm there. ...and I won't be back here!

Wherever there are forums...there will be trolls.... :shock:

I have a question, how many of you that are having problems with the website are using Windows Explorer 9? Ever since I installed 9 on two computers I've had problems. Clicking on links 50% of the time works. Just wondering if everyone is barking up the wrong tree.

HTML 4 has been out for about 10 years. HTML 5 just came out. Which means everything has to change. Soon all web sites will have to upgrade to the new spec. That is what happened when html 3 and 4 came out.

So it is not IE9 or the new Chrome, it is web sites that were developed with old technology

I use IE 9 on here, and never have any problems. Ok except for broken mega tree photos and stolen strobe photos.. (o never mind, different issues....)

Make sure in IE9 in Tools>Compatibility View Settings, it is checked off to Display all pages in compatibility mode.

That really helps with older sites.

One issue I have here is that with the iPhone, if I am viewing a stale version of the recent threads list, clicking on recent does nothing. I have to reload the page instead.

I say we leave it alone, stage a coup, take over PC then all sit around the campfire singing kumbaya..

jk :P

Didnt we lose a bunch of stuff on the last upgrade? Archive didnt go quite as planned.. not to mention themes.. jus' sayin.. changing for change sake isnt never good.