Light-O-Rama Forums

Help - I think I broke a CTB16D ( The card survived! )

Guest guest

In my hast to run an extra cat5 from the computer (USB485B) out the same hole in my shop to the panels and controllers - I cut the active cat5 wire without unplugging from the USB485B or the controller. Now the controller will not communicate.

I swapped out the RS485 8 pin chip with a know good one but that wasn't the problem. I have tried everything I can think of - power cycled it....

I had three controllers daisy chained together and they all quit but the if I bypass the first one the other two still work.

wirekat wrote:

In my hast to run an extra cat5 from the computer (USB485B) out the same hole in my shop to the panels and controllers - I cut the active cat5 wire without unplugging from the USB485B or the controller. Now the controller will not communicate.

I swapped out the RS485 8 pin chip with a know good one but that wasn't the problem. I have tried everything I can think of - power cycled it....

I had three controllers daisy chained together and they all quit but the if I bypass the first one the other two still work.

I would think that the controller would survive the cable cut. The LED stays blinking even when you connect it with a known good cable that works with another controller?

Try resetting the controller. power off, unit id to 00, power on for a few secs, power off, unit id back to original.

I would check for physical damage to RJ45 connectors, maybe pulled from the board a little -- did you yank on it when the cable was cut? Maybe only one connector is good now. If this is the case, move the controller to the end of the chain.

Does the controller flash its LED when not connected? Does it go solid when connected to HWU?

You guys are unbelievable!

It's Thanksgiving and you still answer questions!

I found the problem and I'm even more embarrassed now. It was a jumper cable that I used to go from the outside of the enclosure to the board itself. Either a bad cable or a bad F-F connector.

All is well at Christmas in Kent!

THANK YOU!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kevin