Light-O-Rama Forums

video in s2

rugerx

OK now I have figured out the video in s2... I am somewhat confused.
My version of s2 lets me play video in a tiny window, but not full screen.

What is the purpose of even offering the tiny window? I see that to get full screen I will need to upgrade to advanced at the cost of $70 ouch.

Was the tiny window just a tease to show what s2 can do ? If so you have my attention. =)

its rediculous you cant use full screen video unless you upgrade. I just ran into this issue last night after i hooked everything up and couldnt get it to go full screen on my projector then realized i had to pay extra for a full screen view... kinda pissed me off...

evandewindt wrote:

its rediculous you cant use full screen video unless you upgrade. I just ran into this issue last night after i hooked everything up and couldnt get it to go full screen on my projector then realized i had to pay extra for a full screen view... kinda pissed me off...

Using video in a display would certainly be considered 'advanced'.

Evan.. the -sole- purpose to use a video file is to sequence using its audio.. did you think you could play that video thru a projector??? There is NO license level that let's you do that.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Evan.. the -sole- purpose to use a video file is to sequence using its audio.. did you think you could play that video thru a projector??? There is NO license level that let's you do that.

Excuse me, but this is not correct.

The Advanced license level does allow full screen video playback for allowing the video to be incorporated and shown through a projector.

JBullard wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

The Advanced license level does allow full screen video playback for allowing the video to be incorporated and shown through a projector.

John is certainly correct. There are several who do incorporate video into their show. I use video in our show, but see no advantage programming using the video. I always strip the audio from the video and program with the audio file. I point the sequence editor to the video file on my show computer.

FWIW Upgrading your license level would give you more than just the 'full screen video' feature.

Paul Roberson wrote:

JBullard wrote:
TJ Hvasta wrote:

John is certainly correct. There are several who do incorporate video into their show. I use video in our show, but see no advantage programming using the video. I always strip the audio from the video and program with the audio file. I point the sequence editor to the video file on my show computer.

FWIW Upgrading your license level would give you more than just the 'full screen video' feature.

I also use video. In my case the movements of the characters in the video are sequenced to the music, similar to the lights.

Like John I sequence the audio alone (if you try sequencing the audio contained in a wmv etc file you will not have access to all the wizards you ordinarily would when editing wav and mp3 files).

Once sequenced, I use a video editing program to recombine the audio back with the video, to get the timings precisely aligned.

It really is a lot easier than it sounds!

For video that does not require precise timing of characters mouths, etc, you can just overlay the video to your sequenced audio (point to it) as stated above, without the need of video editing.

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

Once sequenced, I use a video editing program to recombine the audio back with the video, to get the timings precisely aligned.

It really is a lot easier than it sounds!

For video that does not require precise timing of characters mouths, etc, you can just overlay the video to your sequenced audio (point to it) as stated above, without the need of video editing.

Greg

I normally start with a video file and use my video editing program to 'extract' the audio from it. When you extract the audio from the video it just copies the audio file. It does not remove the audio from it. I use this extracted audio file to sequence with. When done just change the sequence editor media file to the video file.

• 2 weeks later...

I'v e been reading these posts and I plan to use video this year (I Hope) My question is you mention video editing programs what do most of you use.....I'm looking for something without a big learning curve that could do the stuff you guys mentioned but my time is getting short.

I use combination of Windows Movie Maker and sony vegas...vegas has about a 1 day learning curve but there are ALOT of videos on youtube on how to use the basics. Once you learn vegas and get your show video'd, it's a snap to edit your videos (especially if you have more than one camera angle!