Light-O-Rama Forums

candy cane

Randy Martin

Help I was making my candy cane pin wheel today. I opened the box and three canes where conected together using three wires, thought I would split them then put plugs on the ends of each one making them two wire. Plugged them in and slowly all the bulbs burnt at once in each cane:(:D. the bulbs were 2.5 watt bulbs and 2 canes had 17 bulbs and one 16 bulbs.

The canes are part of a single loop. Splitting them up causes a high voltage to each bulb, therefore greatly reducing their life.

I've had some 3 candy cane groups that I have split and used for 2 years without a problem, but excpect failure each year. I have a total of about 40 that were from 3 groups to 5 groups. Best solution is to replace the bulbs with rope light (my plan when they start to go ( I have tested on one and it worked great.

Randy first off, I believe you meant 2.5 volt, not watt. There is a difference between volts and watts.

I just was doing some work with candy canes that I bought at walmart last year. I think that there are 16 bulbs per cane and each cane is made to work on 120 volts. So, I see walmart has these same canes out again this year. Might try and see if they have the required 7.5 bulbs there. BTW 16 bulbs will need to be 7.5 and 17 bulbs will need to be 7.0 on a 120V supply. Might consider making all of your canes 16 bulb strings provided you can find the 7.5 volt bulbs.

jerrymac wrote:

I've had some 3 candy cane groups that I have split and used for 2 years without a problem, but excpect failure each year. I have a total of about 40 that were from 3 groups to 5 groups. Best solution is to replace the bulbs with rope light (my plan when they start to go ( I have tested on one and it worked great.

Provided you can find rope light that has cut lengths that match the length of the candy cane. Seen rope lights with cut length up to about 30 or 36". And I think I remember seeing 20" but not real sure of that at this moment.

Correction: The lighted candy canes from Walmart (which went up almost 50 cents in price this year) have 20 lights per cane and the replacement bulbs, both the clear and the colored bulbs, are 6 volt.

Dog gone, I messed up thinking about how I plan to replace ican with LED next year. But George is correct. 20 ct in the candy canes from Wally World. Well that does not help your problem after all.

I Have looked for 7 volt bulbs and 7.5 volt bulbs no luck. But i have lots of rope lights in my stock pile. How do you know where to cut the rope (I have looked for marks) but cant find any and is there any cheap way of putting plugs on the ends

I take pride in learning and when you allready have a lot of the stuff eg. (3 canes for a $1.50) and (rope light 18' for $1.00) I would like to see if I can make it with a little info. Single canes here in Canada are about $5.00 each. Sometimes money is not more important then learning.

Thanks everyone for your info. I will try the that Jeff sounds like it will work great. I also just cut some rope up last night a little longer than needed and it worked out perfectly. Thanks again every one for great help.

Guest Don Gillespie

Randy Martin wrote:

I take pride in learning and when you allready have a lot of the stuff eg. (3 canes for a $1.50) and (rope light 18' for $1.00) I would like to see if I can make it with a little info. Single canes here in Canada are about $5.00 each. Sometimes money is not more important then learning.

I just came back from Canadian Tire ( a hardware and everything store in Canada) their candy cane lights are $9.99 each I am kicking myself in the a$$ last year could have bought a whole bin of them around 300 in the bin for 500 bucks but noooooooooooooo I had to see if they would go cheaper I guess the old saying is true you snooze you lose. :X

I was building / sodering my rope lights last night worked out great. The canes here at Canadian Tire for a pack of three are $24.99 WOW as I was there last night and checked. They didnt have singles out yet.

• 1 year later...

On the topic of these 20 bulb, 28" candy canes, last year, 2011, Target briefly had them in Purple, adding tot the normal Red, White and Green. This is great if you are sequencing with 4 colors. Has anyone bound anyplace to buy these purple or even blue lighted candy canes? without going the route of cutting rope light and soldering on lead wore for plugs.

Thanks