Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar 12 CCR Tree

jimswinder

Sooooo...

Have been waiting on the CCB's...nothing yet, so have now gone to Plan "B".

I had ordered 12 CCR's to convert my arches with them...but now that it doesn't look like I will have a CCB Mega/Weber Tree, decided to make a Brian Bruderer Superstar CCR Tree with them (as seen here):

http://vimeo.com/14428696

What I did different, at least I don't recall reading about anyone else doing it this way, was to zip tie the CCR to a 1" x 18' piece of Nylon webbing, which I can pull tight and it will lay flat...as opposed to tying it to something round..like a small diameter rope or PVC (pic below)

Just thought I would share... :D

Attached files 267285=14812-CCR Webbing 2.jpg

Jeff Millard wrote:

Interesting. Where'd you get the black nylons!

Jeff

(I can't wait to read the responses to that line!)

they are the ones I borrowed from you!!

Sorry..meant to include that:

http://www.strapworks.com/Webbing_Strapping_Narrow_Fabrics_s/20.htm

George Simmons wrote:

I like the idea of webbing. Have you tried using it horizontally?

not yet...I would think, unless I had some way to support it in the middle, it would sag...

I guess that's what I was wondering - whether you could reasonably pull the web tight enough to eliminate any sag.

George Simmons wrote:

I guess that's what I was wondering - whether you could reasonably pull the web tight enough to eliminate any sag.

I'll give it a try sometime this week...

Don't want to get too scientific on you but there is no way to get all the sag out due to gravity. You can get most of it out, but with time the sag will increase due to stretching of the nylon and/or loosening of the anchor points.

I would suggest attaching one end of the straps to one of those cheap tie down ratchets. Two reasons; 1-you can get them a lot tighter that way and 2- you can always draw them a little tighter when they start to sag.

ainsworth wrote:

I would suggest attaching one end of the straps to one of those cheap tie down ratchets. Two reasons; 1-you can get them a lot tighter that way and 2- you can always draw them a little tighter when they start to sag.

Yeah...I would even go as far as if you were wanting to use it horizontal, to buy a tie down ratchet with a 18' - 20' strap with it as the nylon webbing I bought is only about 300lb strength...think it would probably break using a ratchet to stretch it tight...

Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeff

(I can't wait to read the responses to that line!)

www...............................................

Jeff Millard wrote:

They are mine. I've been looking for them... must have forgot them at Jim's.

I just watched the video...that was sweet!!! If I ever get up to 12 CCR's, I would politefully request a copy of your sequence fine sir!

thevikester wrote:

I just watched the video...that was sweet!!! If I ever get up to 12 CCR's, I would politefully request a copy of your sequence fine sir!

The video and sequence is not mine, but Brian Bruderers'...he is the one who created the SuperStar Software that LOR purchased the rights to and will HOPEFULLY (:P) be availble soon with S3...

jimswinder wrote:

thevikester wrote: The video and sequence is not mine, but Brian Bruderers'...he is the one who created the SuperStar Software that LOR purchased the rights to and will HOPEFULLY (:P) be availble soon with S3...

Ah yes...Brian...and the aloof S3 software...hmmm, September came and went, and alas, no new software to spend my money on. I'm sure there is something else I can spend it on though, tis the season! Thanks Jim

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:
LORi P wrote:
They are mine. I've been looking for them... must have forgot them at Jim's

There's a circle of ownership going on here that's a little cloudy... you borrowed them from me... but they belong to LORi... and she forgot them at your place... George wants them horizontal... and you're gonna try it for him...

Can you please wash them when you're done.

With bleach! :cool:

ROTFLMAO... 1511767.GIF

will do...but they won't be black anymore... :)

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:

LORi P wrote:
They are mine. I've been looking for them... must have forgot them at Jim's.

There's a circle of ownership going on here that's a little cloudy... you borrowed them from me... but they belong to LORi... and she forgot them at your place... George wants them horizontal... and you're gonna try it for him...

Can you please wash them when you're done. With bleach! :cool:

Jeff
You are assuming you will get it back in once piece... It might fall of the roof or something.. Plus with all that excess DNA..... you never know if the house can handle the extra weight

Jim,

With the CCR's strapped to the black nylon, are you concerned that the nylon will whip violently in the wind? I've seen nylon like that before and it vibrates like mad (even making sound) in the wind and with the CCR's attached to it, I would be concerned.

WayneKremer wrote:

Jim,

With the CCR's strapped to the black nylon, are you concerned that the nylon will whip violently in the wind? I've seen nylon like that before and it vibrates like mad (even making sound) in the wind and with the CCR's attached to it, I would be concerned.

Don't get much wind here in Seattle during the winter and WAS hoping to get them tight enough that if it DID get windy, they would not whip around that much.

• 2 weeks later...

George Simmons wrote:

okay...per George's request I tried one of my CCR's Horizontally, pulling it tight with one of those tie down ratchets...

worked good, as I think I could have even made it tighter but I was running into the end of CCR (and was worried about pulling my CCR apart!! LOL)...plus I think my cheap webbing was stretching a bit. They do sell more heavy duty webbing. If I was wanting to to his I think I might stretch the webbing first and THEN attach the CCR to it.

Anyway...on the ends I had some Masonry String above the CR webbing. On the ends it was 1/2" above the webbing...and in the center it sagged a bit..about 1/4", so the string was about 3/4" above the webbing.

questions??

George Simmons wrote:

okay...per George's request I tried one of my CCR's Horizontally, pulling it tight with one of those tie down ratchets...

worked good, as I think I could have even made it tighter but I was running into the end of CCR (and was worried about pulling my CCR apart!! LOL)...plus I think my cheap webbing was stretching a bit. They do sell more heavy duty webbing. If I was wanting to to his I think I might stretch the webbing first and THEN attach the CCR to it.

Anyway...on the ends I had some Masonry String above the CR webbing. On the ends it was 1/2" above the webbing...and in the center it sagged a bit..about 1/4", so the string was about 3/4" above the webbing.

middle picture is in the middle, right picture is at the end...

sorry about the double post...

and yes...CCR still works **WHEW!!!**

Attached files 270515=14959-stretch test.jpg

One other thought might be the 1/2 inch wide nylon/polyester shipping strapping. Since the stuff is not woven, you get rid of all the stretch from the weave. I've been considering it myself, for a possible project or two..