Light-O-Rama Forums

Squirrel Repellant?

LORisAwesome

Anyone know if there is a product available to repel squirrels?

I am in the process of testing my mega tree strings, and I found one that was chewed through, ruining the string.

I seem to remember a neighbor that had a plastic owl in his back yard, I'm wondering if that was to keep the squirrels away.

Jerry

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but I use a small bowl of antifreeze placed where only squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits can get to it. Seems to work pretty well.

The Wife and I setup a feeder for them with peanut halves, AWAY from any lights or cords. Works pretty well here. Only had one string of lights damaged after moving it within about 5' of the feeder. Got the string repaired, but still have to check a couple others.

Tom Straub

Sounds like it might be worth a try.

I'm thinking the reason they chew on stuff is to grind down their teeth.

I had gerbils when I was a kid, and they had to chew for this reason. Their teeth did not stop growing.

I have a chain link fence in the back yard, and the darn squirrels have chewed through the aluminum ties that are used to attached the fence to the framework.

Jerry

Guest wbottomley

George Simmons wrote:

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but I use a small bowl of antifreeze placed where only squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits can get to it. Seems to work pretty well.

Agreed.

I've gotten rid of 21 in the past 4 weeks. I wasn't gonna bother them until I noticed my hose pipe in the yard had all kinda squirrel bites. I immediately thought of drop cords and light strings! I couldn't take a chance on getting them chewed up so I had to take action.

George Simmons wrote:

George here is a flame response

Could use a motion activated sequence and I doubt you would ever see the squirrel again.

Do you own a cat or know someone who does? Take some used cat litter (no poop) and spread it around outside the base of your tree. If it rains you will have to repeat the process. You can also buy fox urine for the same effect.

Plastic owl will not work. They soon learn that it won't attack them.