Light-O-Rama Forums

So What do You Guys Think?

jimswinder

Working on another project this weekend...making the stars for my "StarSticks"...

And can't decide if I should have Black Stars or White Stars...

The Black Stars definitely video better...but the White ones are more "misty" and not so sharp looking....

There will also be another row of 100ct white lights outside of the blue...but did not bother to put them in yet...

So...

What do You Guys/Gals Think?

Attached files 267134=14796-Stars.jpg

Mark Showalter wrote:

oh and congrats on another Dawg win today.:}

yeah..they FINALLY got it going in the 2nd half...

Congrats to the Cougars also...shaping up to be an excellent Apple Cup.,..

Hey Jim, can you make one on a medium gray for us to look at? or maybe a clear plastic? Thanks.

I'm torn..I like them both.

The effect of the white background is cool, but as I'm thinking about watching them from afar, would have to choose black..sharper color, gives it the look of no backing holding the lights up.

Before you put the black one up though, you need to take care of the one extra blue bulb off to the right....:D

Jeez, Jim still gets no respect around here! :D

I agree with George the blue does show up more on the white, but might be how the camera "see's" it. If the blue is fine in person, I think I'd go with the black.

BTW, when looking at the led's, they have black centers. ;)

And I like the black better, but again---they both look great! I think you better find a way to use both of them in your display.

scubado wrote:

I agree with George the blue does show up more on the white, but might be how the camera "see's" it. If the blue is fine in person, I think I'd go with the black.

That was part of the dilemma...use the one that looks best to the naked eye or the one that shows up best in video...

Might do another test tonight and actually set them up at the house I use and walk across the street as that will be where most of the viewing will be...

thanks for everyone's input and suggestions

much appreciated!!! ;)

Arnoldc wrote:

If I were you I would pick the lightest one possible. Don't want any damage on the house as they fall...

well...having to paint them black does add some weight to it... ;)

I like the sharpness of the black star but the picture may not be doing the white star any favours.

During the "Star Burst" the white star should be reflecting the light of the light strings & colours better than the black star, & once the 3rd colour is added that would help as well.

Go with white.

Jeff Millard wrote:

DonFL wrote:
I'm torn..I like them both.
Ditto! Great job Jim. Bring them when you come to dinner!

How about I just send you the PDF instead?? LOL

So...anyone who would like the below star in a PDF, just PM me your email.

If printed at full size, it will cover a piece of paper 36" x 42" (approxiamtely 32" across)..so you will need to take it to a printer that has a plotter.

How it is set up is that the Red star is set for a 100ct string, the White Star a 70ct string and the Blue star a 50ct string.

You can not see it on the attached pic, or probably in the pdf (if you open it on your computer), but when it is printed you will see a small dot for the spacing of the lights.

The Red and blue stars are spaced at 1", the middle white star is spaced at 1-1/18".

Questions?

Attached files 267290=14813-Coro Star - 12 copy.jpg