Light-O-Rama Forums

programable laser

sabinlights

Both have been done. Primarily through a DMX interface.

I run a 3D virtual santa with the audio worked into my sound system. At strategic times I shut my light show down so all attention is focused on the 3D santa.

I've been playing around with a new toy...a programmable laser. It has a Bunch of effects built in and an SD card with about 60 pictures and animations you play with the laser. This includes some Christmas, New Year's, Valentines Day animations etc. Also includes software to create your own animations and pictures to project. I've been projecting snowflakes rotating and slowly falling on the side of my house! Also pics/anims of Santa, Halloween-related stuffs...all as big as whatever surface you have! All this for the low...low...price of $154.71 with free shipping! There IS some separation between the green and red laser lines I'm trying to work out...but I found the red/blue 3D glasses eliminates this and they can be had for around $0.40 each for 50 of them. But is an Awesome Laser Show in your hands!
http://www.eforchina.com/view/78799/7-colors-Anime-Mini-Laser-Stage-Lighting-with-Sound-Active-Function--Free-1GB-SD-card--NW-S-D03-.htm :cool:

I ran a laser last year and to be honest with you, the results weren't what I hoped for. The green cut out entirly when it got below freezing and the red was barely noticable. Controlled it just like a strobe, on or off. Guess it depends what part of the country you are from.

sabinlights wrote:

Has anyone ever put a laser show in there lor display? Is so how. Also video from a projector. How do you get it programed into the Lor?

Anybody got any video with laser being used with show? I'm going to have a "lightshow" party...going thru LOR shows: Halloween, Christmas, Rock and just Laser images and animations up on side of my house. I just learned last night how to create a custom text still "frame" to project. Now if I can just get the animation I created to project.

• 2 weeks later...

rodman1369 wrote:

sabinlights wrote:
Has anyone ever put a laser show in there lor display? Is so how. Also video from a projector. How do you get it programed into the Lor?

Anybody got any video with laser being used with show? I'm going to have a "lightshow" party...going thru LOR shows: Halloween, Christmas, Rock and just Laser images and animations up on side of my house. I just learned last night how to create a custom text still "frame" to project. Now if I can just get the animation I created to project.

Well, there is a video on my personal web site below, but I don't think it would do much good for you since the cost of that laser system is huge. It was for a shopping mall in Texas.

Amazingly enough...I live about 8 miles away from South Park Mall and have been to that show! Thank you! Did you use LOR?
Of course...My laser light show is not professional grade. But I am amazed what I now can project with a little box I can hold in my hand! My laptop crashed and is in the shop...but I May be able to post a link to some example video later. Thanks for your input. :cool:

Small world. I didn't know you were so close to South Park Meadows.

Yes, I used LOR controllers for all of the lights connected to a ShowTime Director (didn't want to use a computer), and DMX control for some of the other devices.

The lasers are ones used in some of Steve's Paramount Pink Floyd Laser shows, so yes they are very expensive and powerful.

Agree, I am also impressed with what can be done with small boxes these days for a lesser price, but it can still get into some serious money quickly.

My only advice is to please keep in mind the seriousness of using lasers. Even some of the simple ones have a possible risk of eye injury if not properly handled.

Richard

Thanks for the advice. Have been reading up on laser safety...have no intention on doing any "audience scanning". Just projecting high on a wall. Haven't really seen the "beam" effect, though I know it is in there. Mainly amazed by the animated graphics projected! I. Also live near an airport...so no projecting upwards either! I Do have a large area on the upper back of my house where we can sit in the backyard and watch the show. And What A Show! Xmas stuffs...halloween... new years...etc. Just spending time organizing the files into folders for different portions of the show. Always looking for more sources for more .ild files to try. Laser came with programmimg software, including a draw/trace function. Have been able to create text logos and still frames. Have animated in the software, but just shows a still frame when projected...still experimenting. Hope knowedge shared will assist others in the quest for the Lightshow. %)

• 2 weeks later...

rodman1369 wrote:

I've been playing around with a new toy...a programmable laser. It has a Bunch of effects built in and an SD card with about 60 pictures and animations you play with the laser. This includes some Christmas, New Year's, Valentines Day animations etc. Also includes software to create your own animations and pictures to project. I've been projecting snowflakes rotating and slowly falling on the side of my house! Also pics/anims of Santa, Halloween-related stuffs...all as big as whatever surface you have! All this for the low...low...price of $154.71 with free shipping! There IS some separation between the green and red laser lines I'm trying to work out...but I found the red/blue 3D glasses eliminates this and they can be had for around $0.40 each for 50 of them. But is an Awesome Laser Show in your hands!
http://www.eforchina.com/view/78799/7-colors-Anime-Mini-Laser-Stage-Lighting-with-Sound-Active-Function--Free-1GB-SD-card--NW-S-D03-.htm :cool:

How bright and what is the milliwatt rating of this unit?

Ok, I just have to chime in here.. Richard, first, thanks for talking about eye damage.. Everyone MUST also consider NOT just "projecting" into the sky. As a pilot I've been "lit up" four times in the last couple years by people on the gound.. granted, it was with pen lasers and done intentionally, but just like shooting guns, you HAVE to know whats behind your target.

Do NOT think for one moment, "oh, it wont go far..".. I was hit by a green laser approx 4 miles away while I was landing in Denver. Blinded me, the guy I was flying with had to take the plane and land. With 156 people on board.. There was a real doofus here in Phoenix early this year that lit up several jets going over while landing at Sky Harbor.. I was flying one of them.. Phoenix PD helicopter was sent out to find him.. the idiot lit up the chopper!! :shock: PHX PD arrested him 10 minutes later.

[align=center]You GOTTA know whats behind your target!! [/align]

Ok, /RANT OFF

Good point TJ. I'm only an amateur pilot and I know what you mean. In my case it only happened once at Hayward Executive Airport about a year ago. The approach goes right over a residental area and shopping center. Some idiot was using a small red laser. It didn't affect me at all because it was probably one of those simple board-room pencil lasers, but even so, an approach is not the time to be distracted by anything... even if it doesn't harm the eyes.

That is when I was wishing I had a hopper of rotten eyes to drop :-)

So your point is well taken that those things can affect people at a long distance.

So if I have a laser light show going on at my home would a plane overhead flying at altitude be possibly effected by a laser light show. If I have the laser located on a recessed point so even if the laser accidentally pointed upward it would not be possible to shine up.

I understand there have been some idiots that have decided to intentionally point a laser at a plane. If I were on the receiving end of this I would want to call in some napalm from the offender location as well. :shock:

Sounds like you are ok Todd. As you probably now, a person has to be almost exactly in the line of the laser to be affected... unlike spot lights.

Well not quite.. the beamwidth, hitting a target several miles away, while still pretty narrow, is still wide enough to blind when swept across the cockpit.

Oh Boy... don't get me started... This is one of my pet peeves...

Lasers are not toys (even the toy ones). I work for the FAA, and they take lasers VERY seriously.

As stated earlier, know what's behind your target... In addition, outdoor laser dislpays require permits to be issues by the FAA and the FDA. Your sity or town my also require a permint. The fines are not inconsequential ($10,000 for a first offense), and the havoc you can cause is serious business.

Lasers are cool, lasers are nifty (I wish I was clever enough to finish this poem...) ... but if you're gonna do lasers, be safe, and make sure the public is safe too. (See links below...)

D.T.

https://employees.faa.gov/tools_resources/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/186172

https://employees.faa.gov/news/focusfaa/story/?newsId=60209

• The topic was locked