Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand spanking new to this madness!

alzittrer

Hello all! I am a true newbie! Just ordered my LOR-controller, they only had an 8 channel available. I figured I would start with this. My question, is that enough for my first year to do anything with? How hard is the programming? I plan on buying many more channels.. Any suggestions for a fist timer? And Halloween is my baby! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alzittrer wrote:

Just ordered my LOR-controller, they only had an 8 channel available. I figured I would start with this. My question, is that enough for my first year to do anything with?

**It's enough to get you addicted...you'll be buying more...LOTS more!!!**

How hard is the programming?

**It differs with each individual...but either way I would download the DEMO TODAY and start playing with it..like any software there is a learning curve.**

I plan on buying many more channels.. Any suggestions for a fist timer?

**You will need LOTS of extension cords...so if you plan on getting bigger each year, I would suggest buying SPT-2 wire (lamp cord) and Vampire Plugs.**

And Halloween is my baby! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**Welcome to the most addicting hobby anywhere..and we are here if you ever do have any questions...there are a great bunch of guys and gals on here...**

Welcome aboard! This is the most popular controller that all of us use. there are several versions depending on your needs and skill level of soldering.
http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html

Also, please update your profile to include where you're from. This helps us tailor answers to your location, besides one of us may be near you and share help and info.
Soon, Menards will be starting one of many sales on extension cords. FYI

Welcome aboard.

My tip is to plan.. draw it all out, make lists of elements in your display, and create a little project plan with tasks on what you need to do.

Figure out what lights will use channels, and how many channels you will need. Last year on a half mega tree, I used 5 channels, but doubled them up, so it sort of looked like 10 channels. So when string 1 went off, string 6 also went off. Little things like that help when starting out and conserving channels.

This keeps me sane (ok, fairly sane) and I am able to get everything done and not forget stuff.

Last year was my first, and I started with 3 controllers and 10k lights, and this year will have 13 controllers, and 35k lights. As you grow, you have to be a bit organized to keep the stress down!

O yeah, and what Jim Said, extension cords. I started with the SPT1 lamp wire, and that was the right move. Use the vampire plugs, and make up your extension cords to the exact size you need.

I read a lot about SPT-1 and SPT-2 wire. Is there a quick and easy DIY guide on rolling your own? I'm new to all of this as well and if I can save some money on something that seems essential, I should understand it.

Also, it seems like vampire plugs are another essential item talked about all over this forum.

Just make sure you keep the polarity straight with each male and female connector that you attach to the SPT wire. The rest of how they're made is pretty much self-explanatory.

enraginangel wrote:

I read a lot about SPT-1 and SPT-2 wire. Is there a quick and easy DIY guide on rolling your own? I'm new to all of this as well and if I can save some money on something that seems essential, I should understand it.

Also, it seems like vampire plugs are another essential item talked about all over this forum.

I would not inhale if I was you..

Like George said, just keep the polarity straight. When you get them, you will see how easy they are to use and connect. Make sure you get the Brown or Black Wire, I have heard, have not confirmed, that the White is not UV protected.

You get a cap/cover that slides onto the male or female end of the plug. You lay the wire down, on top of two vampire looking spikes, press down, then slide the cover/cap over the wire, and the pressure sets that puppy right on the vampire stakes.

The SPT1 isa bit lighter weight and smaller wire guage and can handle about 7 amps, and the SPT2 are a bit larger and can handle around 10 amps. If you are using incandescents, the SPT2 is probably better, I use the SPT1 stuff, since I am using all LEDs.

Here is a good little how to on this website

http://www.johnsonschristmascorner.com/Cords.html

He even shows how to make a multiple outlet cord, which is really handy, espeically if you are using LED lights where you can run many strings on a cord.

paulanator wrote:

enraginangel wrote:

Like George said, just keep the polarity straight. When you get them, you will see how easy they are to use and connect. Make sure you get the Brown or Black Wire, I have heard, have not confirmed, that the White is not UV protected.

You get a cap/cover that slides onto the male or female end of the plug. You lay the wire down, on top of two vampire looking spikes, press down, then slide the cover/cap over the wire, and the pressure sets that puppy right on the vampire stakes.

The SPT1 isa bit lighter weight and smaller wire guage and can handle about 7 amps, and the SPT2 are a bit larger and can handle around 10 amps. If you are .
I think that the only difference between SPT 1 and SPT 2 is the thickness of the insulation. You can get both in 18 and 20 gauge and both will handle 10 amps.

shfr26 wrote:

paulanator wrote:
enraginangel wrote:

The SPT1 isa bit lighter weight and smaller wire guage and can handle about 7 amps, and the SPT2 are a bit larger and can handle around 10 amps. If you are .
I think that the only difference between SPT 1 and SPT 2 is the thickness of the insulation. You can get both in 18 and 20 gauge and both will handle 10 amps.

Agree, only difference is thickness of insulation. Some places you can get different gauge wire too though, so know what you are getting (18/2, 16/2, etc.)

A good tutorial with photos on how to make such cords:

http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/77/39/

And another thing to consider with regards to how many amps the wire can handle is how long the cord is. If carrying 8-10A with SPT, it should be only for short distances. In all reality, most of our light channels won't be carrying that much to begin with (due to limitations of the controller).
This helps:
http://planetchristmas.com/WireSize.htm

One other thing I forgot to mention, the two sizes do not really mix well. You can fidget to get them to work in most cases.

Example, I have SPT1 wire, and had some SPT2 C6 sockets, and if you position the wire just right it works, but it is not a really good seal as opposed to using SPT1 on the socket and wire.

So when you order SPT1 or 2, just make sure you get the same size vampire connectors.

• 1 month later...

I get mine from here http://www.christmaslightshow.com/Spt1-Wire-Plugs-and-Sockets-for-Christmas-outdoor-decorations.html

Honestly I've seen it cheaper though and have heard of group buys as well but for me they are only a few hours away and ship fast so I just stick with what's easy and reliable.

avery255 wrote:

Where does everyone get their bulk wire and vampire plugs from?

Try Surplus sales in Orlando Florida for spt and Home Depot on line for plugs, Home Depot only has them this time of year.

shfr26 wrote:

Sorry, that should have been "Skycraft parts and surplus".

Ah, one of MY favorite hang outs. Being just about 5 miles from there it's where I buy a lot of my parts and supplies for all sorts of things. But they never seem to have the male/female vampire plugs, just the wire. Be nice if they'd get the ends to go with the wire! So I just end up using old non-working incandescent or LED light strings and cut the ends off and crimp them to the wire and cover with heat shrink over each crimp joint and one larger piece to cover over those.